Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EB project

EB project

I finished this deal today. Holy cow this guy was painful to communicate with. Found it well over a week ago on Craigslist & have been corresponding via email through Craigslist ever since. I gave him my phone # to call me But he never did. I asked him like 3 questions about it & he answered one then took a day or so to answer again. Lol . I gave up on this deal twice then out of the blue he would finally answer me. I would respond then wait for a long time again to here back. I didn't think it would get done till this afternoon when I emailed him about meeting me & much to my surprise within 4 hours he got back to me & agreed to meet me. So anyway I ended up picking it up for $50 which was a great deal for a real Mahogany body & neck. I have never built a Gibson style bass before so here go's. I don't have a short scale bass either so its a nice addition to my collection. Stay tuned I will post as I bring it back to life.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together, KC. As you know, I own an EB3 and I'm definitely a fan. Sounds like you got in at the right price, so it probably was worth having to deal with a difficult seller. That appears to be an EBO, with the single mudbucker pickup.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

cool- good luck with it!

I wanna play "I'm Eighteen" on it!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Very cool indeed--I'm looking forward to see what you make of it.

DiMarzio apparently makes pickups that are designed for that bass & better than the stock ones.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

No need to stay with one pickup, is there?
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I had one 40 years ago. Two pups, and a selector switch of some sort. EB3? It had been rattle-canned blue. I removed the pain with Nevr Dull! Worked like a charm! Perfect original finish underneath. Sold it to Grumpy George Gruhn.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

EB-3 was a 2 pickup version--my first bass was a copy of one.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Ya the EB3 model is awesome. Getting into this one I am surprised on how good of quality it is for what it is. I spent the evening wet sanding the body with 2500. It is time consuming but the results are great. It feels so smooth & the body is near flawless now. It is still shiny but doing that has taken that plastic super gloss off of it. I ordered the saddles last night so I know have a complete bridge. I believe I will purchase a set of tuners for it this weekend as well. Now as for the electrical I am still pondering what to do there. This is sure a lot different then building a Fender style project. There is not a lot out there in the line of pickups. The DiMarzio DP 120 is one of the only sensible options. Now saying that it's because its pretty much the only upgrade pickup available in that Sidewinder size. Unless I go with a Curtis Novak Darkstar. At the price of one of those that is not going to happen on this project. It appears to me that the only Classic sidewinder style ones on the market is the Artec's & from what I have read are plagued with noise issues & although they have stout output they lack tonal character. I saw Mike yesterday when he dropped off my Magnum pickups for my Speedster project & he is gonna look into some options on what he can do. I am kicking around the idea of making an SG Jr style pickguard to go over that hole & go with a standard humbucker size pickup there are quite a few nice bass pickups available in that size. I am actually enjoying building something that has these limited options. I want to build something different then I have seen before. For that reason I am reluctant to go with the DiMarzio option. I have a nice custom Precision bass already so I wont put pre pickups in it. So I will keep my thinking cap on & try to come up with something unique & cool. I'll let you guys know when I figure out what that is gonna be.Thanks for all the interest fella's
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Is this a fixed neck?
    I know Epiphone has made both fixed & bolt on necks for these basses.