Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice from a famous bass player

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I mean that more rhythm-wise--nothing fancy--but more than just whole notes with an occasional half note...
    That's all cool as long as you aren't throwing the rest of the band off. When playing with guitars you probably have a bit more leave to do that. Once you throw in horns that have the melody, things could get very messy quickly if the bass is making up rhythms on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    That's all cool as long as you aren't throwing the rest of the band off. When playing with guitars you probably have a bit more leave to do that. Once you throw in horns that have the melody, things could get very messy quickly if the bass is making up rhythms on the fly.
    While I improvise them sometimes--it isn't really making them up on the fly because I do two things-1-I am listening & aware of what the other instruments are playing & any rhythm/tempo/feel parameters & 2-I still make sure I keep the beat (for example--unless the part dictates otherwise I play on the 1...)
    & it's not normally anything syncopated--just add in some quarter notes or eighth notes or play along to the rhythm of the melody, etc--but ALWAYS it fits the song.
    And sometimes I even stop playing & leave a space.
    But playing whole notes on the 1 all song long?
    Drives me crazy.
    I will do it for part of a song, but not the whole thing...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I seriously doubt that any musicians could deal with playing whole notes all the time.

I seriously doubt that any musicians could deal with playing whole notes all the time.
    Agreed--and yet some people expect the bass to do that --fast & slow songs.
    I've met some of them.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I usually just give the bass player the chord names and tell him to figure out a part based on what he hears going on

I usually just give the bass player the chord names and tell him to figure out a part based on what he hears going on
    Cool, I like it when that happens when I play bass.
    Actually that is normally what happens when I play in church.
    Sometimes the leader wants me to come in or drop out at a certain time or to play a certain rhythm, and that's okay.
    Most of the time it's up to me.