Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When Do You Turn Into a Collector?

When Do You Turn Into a Collector?

You know I have never ever considered myself a collector of guitars or amps but my search for increasingly rare and oddball Ampegs has now got me asking the question regarding amps, guitars or whatever- when do you pass over from the realm of just a player to being branded a collector?
    Last edited by die Bullen; 10-23-2011 at 08:55 PM.

I'm not a collector, I'm obsessed. Just ask Mrs. Etech.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

Axellent Member
    you say collector like it's a bad thing. as soon as you start to seek "rare" and "oddball" items such as your ampeg amps then you are a collector. as soon as you start buying similar items becasue you don't have one then you are on your way to being a collector. when you start to get obsessive thenn... well you know.

nothing wrong with that. i collect old school kung fu movies, horror and sci-fi films and i'm a huge godzilla collector. oddly enough "hey baby wanna check out my godzilla collection" wasn't a really good pickup line. my wife puts up with it though.

Ha ha monwobobbo no I didn't really intend "collector" to be a bad thing and I do think I've entered the Ampeg collector camp although this was never really my intention. 5 Vintage Ampegs plus one on the way and like I said, they are becoming increasingly rare now. I'm not sure when I became a collector though- I think this just kind of happened.

You're a collector when you have a collection, and that's your focus.
    I just own guitars that I like, that are different from the others--no real theme other than that--so I'm not really a collector--plus I go so long between guitars...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I think monwobobbo nailed it.....When you start looking for the pieces that fill in the gaps, you're a collector. It's probably a fairly rational thing to do, at least the way you're going, dB.....The old Ampegs are one of those undiscovered treasure like those older Traynors and Yorkvilles that are just now starting to garner some attention. I think you can safely think of that as an investment....Who knows, maybe you're planning for your retirement!
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Ha ha- Not sure if I'm planning for retirement but I'm moving my focus on Ampegs from the 60's into the 50's now. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I will keep buying these amps as long as they stay cheap relative to the vintage market...

I thought we're just buying stuff because we like it? LOL

In my opinion, being a collector means you gotta have everything, rare and collectible ones or just for the heck of it.

When I was buying cameras like crazy, I was only interested in old rangefinder cameras.. and got to a point wherein I got tons of cameras, but I don't use them, and I just like to look at them and marvel at their glorious sight. the cameras I bought wasn't even rare or collectible, I just like them.

With me, it used to be antique audio gear....It started with a portable wind-up Decca, an original RCA 45 changer, and a 1918 Heintzmann floor standing horn gramophone. By the time I was done, it was standing room only, and floor to ceiling in a 10 x 12 room. That's when my second wife put her foot down. I got rid of the wife first, but eventually gave up on the audio gear too.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I have a mechanical 1890's Regina music box, does that count as vintage audio?