Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ibanez Law Suit Guitars

Neophyte

Ibanez Law Suit Guitars

Hey All

Just wanted to see if anyone here were collector or owners of Ibanez guitars from the 70's? the Law suit era.

I have a 1977 custom Les Paul copy. It's really pretty cool guitar. I've had it since 1997 or so.

I've played one Ibanez lawsuit LP.. it was great for the price, and sounds great for rock.. BUT, I'm not really a big fan of LP's.. so yeah.. I think these "lawsuit" guitars are really great.. most are better than the originals..

especially those Greco's, Fernandes, and other *** guitar makers at that time..

AxeTalker
    I am not a collector or something like that but I do have a lawsuit Rickenacker 4001 bass.

Obviously I replaced the trussrod-cover...

Axellent Member
    my first "real" guitar was an ibanez strat copy. bought it used in 1979. really wish i still had that one as it was a good guitar.

I had an Ibanez Les Paul in the mid 1970s-it had a fine feel and sound. I still have my Ibanez Jazz bass copy that I bought in 1977-all I have ever done is change the strings, it is outstanding and dependable.

itsallintheblues mentioned the Fernandes guitars, my 85 era Fernandes is my favorite, I prefer it to my Fender Strats-a 1974 MIA and a 2003 MIM. Another very fine Les Paul copy is the Burny model, they made lawsuit Les Pauls and Fernandes made lawsuit Stratocasters.

Hey marc-is that Ibanez a bolt-on neck? Most Ibanez L.P. style guitars on EBay seem to be bolt-ons.

Neophyte
    Yeah it does have a bolt on neck. That does not bother me at all the baby will sustain really well for a bolt neck. I've been thinking of hot rodding it out with new hardware but not sure if there is really any value in keeping it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by anfontan View Post
    I had an Ibanez Les Paul in the mid 1970s-it had a fine feel and sound. I still have my Ibanez Jazz bass copy that I bought in 1977-all I have ever done is change the strings, it is outstanding and dependable.

itsallintheblues mentioned the Fernandes guitars, my 85 era Fernandes is my favorite, I prefer it to my Fender Strats-a 1974 MIA and a 2003 MIM. Another very fine Les Paul copy is the Burny model, they made lawsuit Les Pauls and Fernandes made lawsuit Stratocasters.

Hey marc-is that Ibanez a bolt-on neck? Most Ibanez L.P. style guitars on EBay seem to be bolt-ons.
    Burny's are very popular here where I live.. and I was gassing on a Burny ES335 copy that's an Eric Clapton replica..

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    Burny's are very popular here where I live.. and I was gassing on a Burny ES335 copy that's an Eric Clapton replica..
    I played in a band with a College professor that had a Burny Les Paul-he had bought it from a Japanese student at the college here in town. It sounded great and from across the stage it looked a lot like it said Les Paul on the headstock. When I took a closer look it said 'Super Grade' in a script very similar to the Les Paul script on a Gibson.

Here is a Burny compared to the Gibson's 'Les Paul' script..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BurnyHeadstockFront-crop.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	1423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson_les_paul_headstock_v1_72 1.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	1424  

I have an Ibanez Destroyer that I bought new in 1977. I only giged with it a few times and it has always been stored in its original case. It is in pristine, showroom condition. This guitar is my pride and joy. And even though I have seen them selling for as much as 10X what I paid for it, I will never let her go. When I die, I am handing this down to my son...He better never sell her or I my spirit will come back from the grave and haunt him.

That;s pretty, teaman. Not my taste in guitars, but I can really appreciate the exceptional condition it's in. I can't remember the last time I saw a 35 year old lawsuit guitar that mint.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."