Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Conrad's coming together

Since a lot of my guitars spend a fair bit of time in storage because of space constraints, cases are an issue for me. And, I find guitars don't stack too well in gig bags, lol. Serioiusly, I've never used a gig bag.....The two guitars that came with them, I gave the gig bags away 'cause I just don't feel like they offer adequate protection.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I only use cases as well. The are safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fussel62 View Post
    I call gig-bags "relic-makers".

It works on house corners, door frames etc.

LMAO!

I pulled the Conrad out last night and had a fresh look at what needs to be done. The original harness is intact and mounted in the pickguard, with only the replacement pickups and the output jack to be connected. When I got the guitar, only the bottom plates were there and soldered to the shield. No idea what happened to the originals or why the plates were removed.

You can see in this picture the subtle differences in the body shape of the Conrad and a Strat.

It's just a waiting game now. When the tailpiece gets here, I'll put it together, string it up, and take a trip down memory lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Fussel62 View Post
    No argument there, but after the umpteenth gig lugging hard cases around I switched and never looked back. I might change my mind if I ever get back to only taking one guitar to a gig. After 3 years of using (high-quality) bags I haven't added a single ding to my guitars.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

Neophyte
    That Conrad is awesome!!! I have a 335 Conrad copy,it has that same roller style bridge. Mine is missing the trem arm, otherwise she's complete. It also has 3 P90 type pickups, 3 tone 1 volume, a 5 way, and a 2 position switch. I have found very little info on this guitar, other than its a late 60's or early 70's. It also has a 2 piece neck, split down the middle. Never seen that before.

I used to have the twelve strings version when I was a teenager, although I didn't keep it long when I discovered it needed to tune down a step-and-a-half and wasn't much good for lead guitar. I found the same guitar about seven years later in a pawnshop 30 miles away and bought it back. Very well made guitars.....

"building an insert to make the interior of the Yorkville case the right size and shape for the Conrad."

Go to a fabric store. You can find some fairly dense foam, some material that's like case-lining, and some spray adhesive. Piece of cake!
    FZ would have called the peghead "Bulbous!"

Edited to add; Cutting the foam is easiest with an electric carving knife. And,,,, let the adhesive really dry, and off-gas before using the inserts.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

The bridge/tremelo tailpiece arrived yesterday and looks to be in great shape. I'll probably be putting the guitar together in the next few days. I need to go for a 40 mile drive to buy strings though.