Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Conrad's coming together

You have got to start stocking up on strings, SC

I actually bought a bunch of strings not that long ago and thought I was set for a while. Problem was, when I changed the tuners on the DuoSonic, I kept breaking high E strings and having to rob sets. I just checked and I now have seven sets of 10's with no high E string. I keep looking on eBay hoping to find someone selling single E strings, but so far no luck.

Got a few things to do on the Conrad in the meantime. I'm going to bring my power polishers and rubbing compounds home from work and I'll random-orbit the pickguard, as it's pretty scratched up. And, I still haven't soldered the new pickups into the harness. Also want to go through and clean pots and slide switches. It's been almost a year since I last did anything with this guitar and I have a vague memory of there being an issue with the pickup switch - loose and floppy, with no detents, if I remember correctly. If that turns out to be the case, I have a new switch in stock that I bought for my Les Paul, and it should work as a replacement. I'll probably dig into it after I pick up up my tools from work in the morning.

I need to figure out where to buy some lemon oil locally. The fretboard was so gunked-up when I got the guitar that the only way I could get it clean was with mineral spirits. It worked, but it's left the rosewood looking really dry and washed-out. Any thoughts on what kind of store sells real lemon oil.....Is it a hardware store item, a paint store thing, or....?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

How about this:

D'Addario PL010-5 Strings: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

On Lemon oil- furniture restoration places near me have it- I don't know about hardware stores

I've looked at ordering from Musicians Friend, but they only ship to Canada by UPS which means big brokerage charges.

Any music store near me carries single strings.

Alternately on MF's (or any website's) shipping charges to you- remember you are paying time and using petrol to drive to these stores that are far from you so it might still be worth it to order- but only you can know this. If the UPS charge is $40 for a few loose strings I'm sure I wouldn't order but if you are talking $5-10 that's cheaper than driving to pick them up. Just make the order count!

It's a tough call. UPS doesn't charge brokerage if the value of the shipment is under 20.00, but the idea of paying 16.00 - 18.00 shipping on under 20.00 worth of product seems wrong. And once the value of the shipment goes above 20.00, the brokerage charge is around 40.00. I've been told by a UPS employee that the brokerage thing is a real profit-center for them....It takes under five minutes and nets them twice what the actual delivery does. On principle, I won't help UPS bend me over.

I'm just getting into the electronics, and my thoughts about the pickup switch were right....The toggle, which I don't think is original, is pooched. I dug up the original switch from my Les Paul, which has a nicely aged off-white switch tip. It's a little soft feeling in one position, but I think I'll use it. It's a little deeper, but there's enough body depth to dremel out what's needed.

I had some reservations about originality, but in the end, I decided that this is a partscaster....The pickups came from another guitar, the tailpiece is from a second guitar, and the tremelo bar from a third. I'm going to foil the cavities while I've got it apart.

I'm curious about these pickups....I initially though they were conventional single coils, but while researching the guitar, I read that they're P90's. It would be neat if they are, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference. I know from asking elsewhere a few years back that the design difference is that the normal strat-style alnico pickup has individual magnetic poles under the strings, while a P90 has one large magnet across the bottom, much like a humbucker. There's no way to see the bottom of these pickups because there's a very large and substantial-looking base plate on them, but rather than seeing pole pieces on the top, there are screws. Does anybody know if the presence of screws is proof that they're P90's?

A couple of pics so you can see. The first pic isn't mine....It's an identical pickup with the cover removed from an eBay ad. The second shot, of my pickguard, shows the baseplates.

I just discovered that the volume pot's a B500K. Two things...this makes me think the pickups might be P90's which should optimally have a 375K pot. It's not a big stretch to imagine an MIJ manufacturer in the late 60's or early 70's subbing a 500K. Second, B500K means it's a linear taper which I think is wrong. Shouldn't a volume pot be an audio taper? The tone pot's an A500K, so that'll be fine. I guess I'll try it and if it doesn't work out, I'll have to change it.

The stupid little things take the longest....There's a rhythm/solo slide switch that mounts to the pickguard with microscopic nuts and bolts, and of course, all the electronics had to be dismounted to do the shielding foil. I spent almost two hours trying to put the switch back in. In the end, I magnetized a pair of jewellers tweezers to hold the nut and that did the trick. Working on guitars is teaching me patience......

The old LP switch turned out to have issues, so I cannabalized my Les Paul. The good news is the switch is very slightly smaller and fits the cavity without modification.

The pickguard is wired, with only one small glitch - The shielded cable on one of the pickups was shorted and had to be replaced....otherwise, routine.

The body cavity has been foiled and I'm getting ready to insulate the foil on the bottom with liquid electrical tape. I should be able to assemble it later tonight.

My inital tap tests with a screwdriver on the pickups when I tested the loaded guard confirmed my earlier concerns about that volume pot.....Almost all of the action is at the top of the control, so I'm going to need to change it to an audio taper. The other curious thing is that this guitar has never had a string ground. If it seems warranted after I've played it, I'll add a string ground when I upgrade the volume pot.

I'm assuming when you say "string ground" you mean a ground wire running to the bridge, right? I think you can safely assume that it's warranted.

How close are you to the border? If it's not too far, maybe you can hop over to Bellingham or something on a day trip and pick up a boatload of strings. There's got to be a music store of some kind in the area, right?
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.