Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Conrad's coming together

My Conrad's coming together

I've had a Conrad solidbody, late 60's or early 70's for a while. It was given to me, missing a bunch of parts and over the last couple of years, I've acquired everything it takes to make it right.....except the bridge/tremelo tailpiece. I'd almost given up hope of finding one when I got tipped off a few days ago about an eBay auction for one....missing the arm (which I have), but complete with the ashtray top cover, and looks to be in decent vintage condition. The auction will be over in a couple of hours and I'm determined to win.....I've already bid an insane amount of money and will do whatever it takes. So, here's wat I'm working with.......

Not a great picture - it's too late at night for me to start moving a dozen cases to get at it right now - but it's potentially a nice vaguely Stratish body, although there were some startling differences when I held the Conrad body and a Strat body side-by-side. The weird thing is, this is a 25" scale, just a little shorter. Two single coils (the correct Maksumoto pickups) that cost 'way too much money on eBay. I have the original pickguard, pots and harness, pickup switch, and rhythm-solo slide switch, so it'll be correct (if a bit of a partscaster, lol).

I used to have an identical guitar with the Toledo brand name on the headstock. Apparently some of the Maksumoto-manufactured Aria guitars were marketed as "Toledo"s in Canada. I remember it being a fairly high effort guitar, but I had no clue about setup then. I might(?) have tried adjusting the bridge height, but it was never intonated, never had the truss rod tweaked, and I'm sure it had 12's or 13's on it. I'm pretty sure I can make it a happier guitar this time around. By the way....Having owned one before is the only reason I have a tremelo arm: Apparently I neglected to give it to the guy that bought my first one. For years, I've been puzzling over what the heck this arm is....I thought for a long time it was a Strat, but the threaded side was too short. Now after all these years, the mystery is solved...
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I remember you looking for that special tremelo some time ago. I think to find find one was a huge amount of luck. Congrats and I hope you'll get it in the end.

It's mine.....and I'm happy, but I wonder whether I should be celebrating, lol. I just paid 170.00 for a bridge for a guitar just like the guitar I sold for 35.00. I guess this is a case for Guitar Economics 101....

I don't remember seeing a Conrad guitar before. Thanks.
    Video playing acoustic guitar at the beach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OTqDn0JqE
    Music video - Maersk rescue from pirates, original pictures, NAVY SEAL museum www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fJQ8t8ZY8

cool- can't wait to see this come together.

On Guitar economics, we all do that on occasion...

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    It's mine.....and I'm happy, but I wonder whether I should be celebrating, lol. I just paid 170.00 for a bridge for a guitar just like the guitar I sold for 35.00. I guess this is a case for Guitar Economics 101....
    Welcome to the club, SC! I paid 179 for the Bigsby I mounted onto my 99 semi acoustic 335 style guitar.

That Conrad bridge looks completely different from all Strat type bridges I know. Who is CONRAD? It hasn't any connection to Conrad Electronics or has it?

Conrad was one of the brand names built by Maksumoto. They actually built some credible stuff. Here's a list:
    ************************************************** ****************************
    Matsumoku:

Exclusive: Arai, Aria, Aria Diamond, Electra, Stewart, Tempo, Ventura, Westbury

Contract Manufacturing for: Columbus, Conrad, Domino, Epiphone, Greco, GUYATONE, Ibanez, Washburn (Wing-and Stage-series), Westone, Yamaha

Sales Brands: Arita, Barclay, Cimar, Custom, Dia, El Maya, Fell, Gallan, Gigan, Hi.Lo, Howard, Lindberg, Lyle, Luxor, Maxitone, Maya, Mayfair, Montclair, Pan, P. visitors, Raven, Sekova, Skylark, Univox , Vision, Volhox

************************************************** ****************************

That bridge is definitely different.....It uses a single spring on the underside of the bridgeplate which is adjustable in tension by turning a screw that can be accessed from the top. That's what the second hole in the ashtray is, beside the slot where the arm screws in. I seem to remember that this trem stayed in tuned reasonably well on my first one, although I didn't use it much.

Yeah, there are quite a lot of names under it I've heard about.

One of the things I'll have to sort out is what to do about a carrying case. I tried it in a Fender Deluxe Strat case and a Fender Custom Shop case, and it's too long. Weird, because the neck's slightly shorter than a Strat, but the body's a bit longer. Right now, when it's in storage, it lives in a Yorkville Sound 335-style case that's 'way too big in every way. I've been mulling over the idea of building an insert to make the interior of the Yorkville case the right size and shape for the Conrad. Anybody ever tackled doing this to make a odd-size guitar fit? I'm so buried in this guitar that I can't imagine ever spending more dough to buy an original case, even if one magically became available. And I think I used up my share of luck on this one when I found a correct bridge after all this time. The weird thing is, after waiting so long to find a bridge, just before the auction on the one I bought ended, somebody listed another one....although it's in tougher shape and has no ashtray cover or arm. What are the chances of that happening, lol?

Get a decent gig bag & call it good.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.