Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage pricing

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Sometimes the higher prices are connected to materials, provenance, appearance or rarity.
    I'd think this would almost always be the case for a guitar over $10k

Well for the original seller--time spent making it is a factor as well.

if you mass produce & can make hundreds or thousands in a year, you can sell them for less than if you make them by hand--and only make a handful a year.

that tends to get passed along when selling them used as well--they are seen as having some extra value--which they might--depends on whose hands built it...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

True enough that making by hand takes a lot longer, although at a certain point the time in the build would be difficult to recover in a sales price. Even if they could afford it, relatively few people would really pay $10k for a handmade Tele (just an example).

I am sure that unless you used expensive wood, or wood that was difficult to work with, or labor intensive finish &/or electronics it shouldn't cost the maker that much they would need to charge $10,000 for one--but there are exceptions I am sure.

but I was thinking of guitars with more elaborate construction--like archtops.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I am sure that unless you used expensive wood, or wood that was difficult to work with, or labor intensive finish &/or electronics it shouldn't cost the maker that much they would need to charge $10,000 for one--but there are exceptions I am sure.

but I was thinking of guitars with more elaborate construction--like archtops.
    Well there you could easily run $10k. Although I still wouldn't be a buyer at that price point.

I can understand the pricing of old Tele's and LP... They're like the Mustangs and Camaros of guitars. Everyone recognizes them, they're great for playing around in, but the early ones are more of a collectors item and show piece than a gigging instrument. Just like old Mustangs and Camaros are fun to play in, but are primarily garage princesses.

What I don't get are the prices of vintage Kay, Silvertone and other catalogue guitars. It would be the equivalent today of buying something off the shopping channel and having it turn into a sought after collectors item. No one in their right mind would ever expect that to happen... yet here we are... Not that I'm trying to put down Kays and the like; I just don't see the value associated with them.

I'm also a bit surprised at how much the Kays and Harmonies have appreciated. That said I always wanted to try one of those jumbo Kay archtops you sometimes see coming up for sale. But depending on the asking price, a Guild would probaby be a better choice. And there's an interesting question- why are old Guilds in such low demand?

The ones that make me laugh is a lot of the Matsumoku stuff. I see the asking prices & just shake my head. There are those that compare them with the deal Les Pauls of the era for instance. Not a chance. They are cool to own but if you get one cranked up to stage volume I don't care what you do to em it's going to feed back because the tops are so thin they act like a cheepo archtop. I'm seeing them into the thousand dollar mark sometimes. Lol. The last one I did up for a customer will be the last one I ever do.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Well you can ask whaever you want on a sale- question is will you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    I can understand the pricing of old Tele's and LP... They're like the Mustangs and Camaros of guitars. Everyone recognizes them, they're great for playing around in, but the early ones are more of a collectors item and show piece than a gigging instrument. Just like old Mustangs and Camaros are fun to play in, but are primarily garage princesses.

What I don't get are the prices of vintage Kay, Silvertone and other catalogue guitars. It would be the equivalent today of buying something off the shopping channel and having it turn into a sought after collectors item. No one in their right mind would ever expect that to happen... yet here we are... Not that I'm trying to put down Kays and the like; I just don't see the value associated with them.
    Actually a Fender Mustang is the Mustang of the Guitar World...

And the Kay & Harmony pricing is ludicrous--and the re-issues are overpriced as well.

I respect what the current Danelectro company is doing--re-issuing old designs with some new ones, but with decent prices that are realistic for what they are