Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage pricing

Vintage pricing

One of the thing's that inspired me to get into guitar building was even back then I could see the price's on older instruments that I would have liked to have owned but to me were to high even at that time. So I build projects that are usually inspired by vintage stuff. I get the pre CBS thing with the Fenders being the Leo era. A 50s or 60s Gibson. Understandable. & there are many more that are worthy of high price tags even if it's just the history that makes it so valuable. Having said that on the other hand am watching ludicrous pricing on anything older. As well as scratching my head on anything from the 90s being classified as "Vintage ". I was in a classic guitar shop in Victoria BC a couple weeks ago & they had a 69 Tele custom that was really nice. I had a great time with it going through a Fender tweed . It was a great guitar but is it really worth 10 grand! I guess if someone is willing to pay that it is. Just not me.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

It is all a question of what has additional value to the individual. I personally would never pay that kind of premium for any guitar, and ironically my 50's Guilds are really not worth that much comparatively speaking. 90's gear is definitely not vintage in my book

Even if I could afford it, I don't know that I'd spend that kind of money on a guitar...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Pricing's gotten a bit out of hand. Of course, most of what we see are asking prices, and who knows what stuff actually sells at sometimes.

If I had 3000.00 - 5000.00 to buy a guitar, I'd probably buy as old a Fender vintage guitar as I could find in the price range, rather than a new Fender Custom Shop guitar. To me, old Jaguars still seem like a deal, with many 60's versions at around 3000.00 or so......But even there, there are exceptions with eBay dreamers listing them at 6000.00 or more.

It's hard to imagine spending 20,000.00 worth of playing pleasure out of a vintage guitar, so it would need to either be something I'd just love to look at in my livingroom, or have significance because it had been owned by a particular performer.

You guys are right....What gets called "vintage" sometimes is absolutely ludicrous.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

The only way I would ever spend more than $1,000 on an electric guitar, is if I wanted to get John Suhr or someone like that to make a custom one for me, with all my crazy wiring, but on a guitar that plays like a dream.

If I bought a $5,000 or more vintage Fender, I would want to rewire and mod it. I couldn't play it the way it is.
    Having it in the house would simply drive me insane.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I think for the most part as player's we want function. Will this guitar do what I ask from it? Usually we invest it what will help us play or sound better. I can get everything that a Guitar that cost 10 grand or more out of stuff that I have built that have less then 10% the cost investment. If I had a pile of money I'm sure I would own a couple of those holy grail instruments but just a couple. I found it funny that Richard Gere has one of the largest archtop collections in the world & cant play.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I can't actually think what a $10k guitar could do for me that my Guild X-500 can't. Over a certain point it seems like this stuff is just for collectors...

If I stumble on a vintage guitar, a really pristine example, Id sell it. get myself a car and a nice re-issue built to spec, with smallest tolerances and completely free of intonation issues, etc. it may lack the character and vibe, but it can look the part though.

Honestly I think if someone gave me a vintage guitar worth $10k or more I'd probably not want to keep it either, unless it has some very siginificant sentimental value connected to the friend.

Sometimes the higher prices are connected to materials, provenance, appearance or rarity.
    The last three don't affect sound--the first one might, it might not--that depends on what the materials are used for--so a fancy pickguard witll nto sound better than a plain one for example...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.