Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kay Value Leader - does not seem to intonate?

I'm New!

Kay Value Leader - does not seem to intonate?

Hello, I just got this from the last 3 amigos Vintage show in Santa Monica- only 150.00

it all works but I had no luck tryin to slide the bridge into and intonation on the 12 fret.

any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by DonMare View Post
    Hello, I just got this from the last 3 amigos Vintage show in Santa Monica- only 150.00

it all works but I had no luck tryin to slide the bridge into and intonation on the 12 fret.

any suggestions?
    I'm not quite sure what 'slide the bridge into and intonation on the 12 fret' means but you can check the distance from the nut to the 12th fret and then the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. They should be approximately the same. Also check the relief on the neck and adjust if needed.

That should get you close. If fine adjusting won't go quite far enough to get it intonated properly, you may be better taking it to a qualified luthier.

I can't see if that bridge adjusts the vibration length of the string. Sometimes new strings fix intonation problems.

I do not remember seeing a guitar like that before. How old is it?
    Video playing acoustic guitar at the beach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OTqDn0JqE
    Music video - Maersk rescue from pirates, original pictures, NAVY SEAL museum www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fJQ8t8ZY8

I just received this one less than 2 hours ago an it needs intonating. The floating bridge is best adjusted to length with the guitar tuned to Eb then tune to pitch. Mine is sharp slightly sharp.

A quik You Tube clip

Last edited by tonyw; 09-03-2010 at 04:49 AM.

The bridge is just straight across right? Jerry Jones used to intonate his Dano-style bridges by notching away some wood in front of each string. Worked great! But I think a good luthier would be required. Not something I'd want to attempt.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

I noticed you mentioned you were going to use it for slide. I play bottleneck, but also use my fingers for fretting. I need my Kay to be intonated. However, if you are going to play using only the slide, and no fretting fingers, the guitar need not, actually should not have each string separately intonated . It's totally unnecessary! Lap and pedal steels are never "intonated," as they'd be out of tune. Lap and pedal, and slide if no fingers are fretting, are not pressing the strings down onto the fretboard.
    I wear my bottleneck on my ring finger. That way I can fret above, and behind the slide.

I am the thread killer!

Don't feel badly- I've killed quite a few in my time too!

They don't always stay dead either! I've noticed, here and other forums too, that when there's new blood, they sometimes revive an older thread.....Not neccesarily a bad thing either. Interesting to hear fresh viewpoints on stuff we've talked around.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Don,
    Where are you?