Thread: Kent guitar

Kent guitar

A friend of mine has this Kent guitar. He is wondering when it was made.
    Any educated guesses?
    He has had it since 1969.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John Mastromartino's Kent.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	3685  
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

It looks like a vegas. It was made by Guyatone.

AFAIK, the earlier ones had a stick on metal nameplate on the head stock to make it easier for re-branding.

The later ones had painted or silk screened logo's. It looks like your buddy's is painted, but I didn't think they did that until the early 70's.
    Last edited by Mreilander; 01-27-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks Mike.

And I recognize that polka-dotted background. That ebay seller has lots of Guyatone guitars. I am constantly finding his auctions when I search for Guyatone.

I have been wracking my head about this guitar. I have played one just like it, many years ago. I cannot remember if I owned it or if it was a friend's. But I really liked playing it. It had a thicker neck than I was used to, but that's part of what I liked about it.
    (I have since come to appreciate "baseball bat" necks.)
    I think it was a friend's and he wouldn't sell it to me. It will come to me who, one of these days.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Well from the info you provided I would say, at the very latest, it was made in 1969 before he got it...

But seriously--it looks like the 60's to me, my guess would be mid 60's--but watch it will be a late 50's.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I did some more digging for my friend (and me!).

This is from a 1967 catalogue. The guy n the back is playing one similar to my friend's Kent.
    So I'm guessing 1967 or before.

Here are a couple of guitars the same as my friend's, one likely refinished:
    Can you help identify my old mystery guitar? - Telecaster Guitar Forum

And here is a page with both models from above (my friend's and the similar one in the catalogue):
    http://www.guitarboutique611.com/kent-guitars/
    This one is a Kent 545 Polaris ll:
    Last edited by doublewah; 01-29-2016 at 02:04 AM.

The second site from my last post lists it as a Kent Lido Model 550:

I remember the record store I used to frequent as a teenager having about eight or nine guitars for sale, one of which was a Kent that appears the same as these. That would have been 1966 or 67. They seemed to carry Kents, Guyatones, and Kalamazoos.

By the way, if somebody needs a pickguard for one of these, I have a chrome metal guard, and I'll give it away for the cost of postage.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    ...By the way, if somebody needs a pickguard for one of these, I have a chrome metal guard, and I'll give it away for the cost of postage.
    Thanks, Spell. I will keep this in mind if I get a project Kent.