Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harmony pickups

Guitars with single coil pickups are susceptible to picking up radiated EMF and RF noise from the environment. The best answer to minimize it is to shield the pickup and control cavity, including the underside of the pickguard with foil. Aluminum works, but copper is considered to be generally superior. The foiled cavity represents a Faraday cage which isolates the electronics from radiated noise. It's a departure from originality, but it's a reversible mod.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Axellent Member
    I may have made a mistake. I let a guy at the local music store talk me into putting 500k pots on this guitar. I actually do like the tone I am getting better than before, but, the tone pots are not changing the tone much at all. It really is barely noticeable. Is that because of pot size or maker.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Axellent Member
    Got interrupted in the last post. I was going to ask also, if that could be to big a jump in pot size. The originals​ were 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by ricklt View Post
    Got interrupted in the last post. I was going to ask also, if that could be to big a jump in pot size. The originals​ were 50's.

Did you mean to type 250? or 50?

Pots kind of work like caps in value-and so there are differences between what works for single coils or humbuckers-as wellsome are linear & some are non linear which will affect how they sound as you turn them up or down.
    And there are some other factors--but like with caps a lot of it just mumbo jumbo marketing stuff.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Axellent Member
    The originals​ were 50's.

Axellent Member
    New ones were All Parts.

The originals​ were 50's.

Ok--that was normal for the Stratotone from what I've seen.
    But unless the electronics are active, most guitars (& basses) will use 250 or 500.
    Here's an article from seymourduncan.com about 250 vs 500 pots...
    If nobody here has more info I am sure a search online will confirm whether the 50s are what you want or not to keep it original.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've seen a couple of weird pot values in old Japanese guitars. My Zenon came with 100K pots. But, assuming yours has single coil pickups (and this seems likely), the common pot value used is 250K. Normally, humbuckers will have 500K pots. There are a few guitars, notable some budget Squiers, that always used 500K pots regardless of the pickup configuration, and if it happened to be with single coil pickups, things sounded awfully bright.

Axellent Member
    This is an old Harmony Stratotone. From the late 50's early 60's. They are single coil's. Originals​.

This is an old Harmony Stratotone. From the late 50's early 60's. They are single coil's. Originals​..............
    Yeah, 250K's sound right for your application, I think. There was a time when P90's, which are also single coil, came with 330K's, although I think that's less common these days. I don't know what type your Stratotone pickups are. There are a few old Japanese pickups that were made in a really flat profile with refrigerator magnets.