Thread: Kazou Yairi CBS Masterworks - Help?

AT Member

Kazou Yairi CBS Masterworks - Help?

I just picked up this gorgeous little guitar the other day from an ederly gentleman that said he bought it used from a guitar instructor in Ontario Canada and took lessons but couldn't catch on, so it sat in a closet for many years...

It was really dirty when I when I went to try it out and the strings were really old...but the action was amazing and it sounded really good even with really old strings...it feels like an old martin..so I decided to buy it...

He was asking $100 CAD ($78 USD) which I thought was fair amount considering that's about the going rate for a decent used Yamaha....and this guitar looks, feels, plays, and sounds much much better.

I've never seen one of these guitars before (I am 45 years old and have been playing since I was a kid)..and I can't seem to find out any info on the internet about this model. I know about Kakuo Yairi...and I know he was commissioned by CBS to build guitars for them.
    I did manage to find an exact copy that sold for $75 USD but it was in bad condition...and was listed as a "Project guitar".

This one is almost mint...it has a small crack in the bridge that runs through three of the string peg holes. Everything else is perfect.

Would like to know what it is worth...or when it was made?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

I can't tell you what it is worth but if it sounds and plays good @ CAD100 I think you got a deal- looks pretty good to me!

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I can't tell you what it is worth but if it sounds and plays good @ CAD100 I think you got a deal- looks pretty good to me!
    Thanks.
    I can't wait to get a new set of strings on it. We are stormed in right now, but I'll be heading to the music store as soon as the snow storm subsides - hopefully tomorrow

As long as the pins stay in it should remain playable--and if you like it I would count it a win at that price.
    It won't please the brand snobs & cork sniffers, it may not be like a much more expensive guitar--but so what? If you like it--that's what matters...

(And it's got some nice wood grain on it as well)

Enjoy!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    As long as the pins stay in it should remain playable--and if you like it I would count it a win at that price.
    It won't please the brand snobs & cork sniffers, it may not be like a much more expensive guitar--but so what? If you like it--that's what matters...

Enjoy!
    This guitar is built just as well as my Larrivee D-09...so, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks...
    I posted it on a FB musicians buy, sell, and trade page... and on marketplace...and the responses have been flooding in....I've been offered $500 but I'm waiting to try it with new strings...I may want to keep it

AT Member

Enjoy!
    I also found out that it is from the late 1960s....and it's actually quite rare... there are lots of K Yairi collectors out there because of his attention to details on his handmade guitars. I can see why too...the pics don't do it justice

Cool--the main thing is that you like it & it does what you want it to...
    The great price is just a bonus--and the nice wood grain is as well
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

AT Member
    Cool--the main thing is that you like it & it does what you want it to...
    The great price is just a bonus--and the nice wood grain is as well
    I've been offered $500 for it by 6 different people...but I also got a trade offer for a MIM Fender Stratocaster, which I'm gonna accept. I'd just end up spending the cash on something foolish like groceries..lol

It cleaned up nice...and plays and sounds better than I thought it would...

Well if the trade gets you something you like better--then cool...

100 bucks for something old and vintage, that sounds super awesome was a steal. Im glad you got what you wanted for a trade, but if that was me, I wont be trading that. Ive been eyeing a 1970's morris acoustic guitar from Japan, but at 300 bucks, sight unseen, im hesitant, and id need to put a pickup in it. but for home use, still a bit expensive for me.