Thread: DIY Solo Stomp

DIY Solo Stomp

Here is my latest project, I'm calling it the Solo Stomp-you can adjust the volume of your instrument by a preset amount by using a volume pot and a DPDT switch-its a great way to boost a solo in live performances. I have used a volume pedal for years but this is so much easier and I don't have to worry that the rhythm is the correct volume.

The only moving parts are the 500 K volume pot and a DPDT switch, the housing for the Stomp is a metal electrical box and a metal electrical box cover. There are 4 holes to drill for the input and output jacks and the switch and pot. The wiring is color coded in black and red to make any repairs quick and easy if repairs are needed.
    This is a Beta version and I hope to have some better graphics in the future, if any other members want to build this effect send a PM and I will help.
    Tony

"Minister of useless trivia-that says it all!"

I like it, very creative.

Thanks very much, elandis-the best part is that it is totally passive and no batteries or power supplies are needed.
    I mentioned that I used a foot switch for years for solos but I was always concerned that string on the Ernie Ball foot switch would break one day-now I don't have to worry!

The volume pot lets me lower the volume for the rhythm, the lead sound is always available with a stomp of the switch.

I love it!

I would love to build one of these- the junction box look is really where it is at

It's an interesting idea......I'm thinking this is somewhat similar to the volume boxes people insert into the Fender HotRod series amps to overcome the problem of the volume control taper on the amp. Your version adds a stomp switch which it needs for the guitar application.

I'm curious how you arrived at the decision to use a 500K pot for the volume control. I've always been under the impression that you get your 500K loading with the guitar's built-in volume pot, and that an inline (pedal format) control is generally a 1 Meg pot to avoid any further high frequency attenuation. I read that specifically about the Jim Dunlop pedal I used to use, but I always assumed that was a common philosophy for pots in passive pedals.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I love it!

I would love to build one of these- the junction box look is really where it is at
    Thanks dB, its an easy build with minimal soldering.

The junction box is from Lowes-70967 Handy Box & 72440-Handy Box Cover, the DPDT switch was from Antique Electronic Supply-P-H498, Output jacks were Radio Shack, 500 K pot-Guitar Fetish-F21A. I'm sure that the parts can be found cheaper on-line.

The largest hole to drill is the switch-it needs to be 1/2", Output jacks are 5/16" and the pot is 3/8".

Here is a jpeg of the wiring-it was posted on-line, I wanted it in a much smaller enclosure and the junction bow did the job well-and it stays really nice and stable when I kick it on and off.

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simple volume preset-StateofStomp_image1_WEB.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	2953  

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    It's an interesting idea......I'm thinking this is somewhat similar to the volume boxes people insert into the Fender HotRod series amps to overcome the problem of the volume control taper on the amp. Your version adds a stomp switch which it needs for the guitar application.

I'm curious how you arrived at the decision to use a 500K pot for the volume control. I've always been under the impression that you get your 500K loading with the guitar's built-in volume pot, and that an inline (pedal format) control is generally a 1 Meg pot to avoid any further high frequency attenuation. I read that specifically about the Jim Dunlop pedal I used to use, but I always assumed that was a common philosophy for pots in passive pedals.
    I didn't actually design the lay-out of the Stomp-it was posted on-line and I adapted it to a more compact enclosure, I use 500 K pots for most of my volume pots anyway.