Thread: Need help wiring my first guitar build

AxeTalker

Need help wiring my first guitar build

So, I want to use the wiring diagram at the end of this post, but my pickup selector doesn't match. I have a selector that has points all on one side, and I'm not quite sure how that translates to the diagram. Any help would be appreciated.

diagram:
    https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/mai..._coilsplit.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	3529  

Maybe this'll help......

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

AxeTalker
    I guess I should mention that I'm wiring HSH to the 5 way. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to ground all three black-bare wire pairs to one lug or what.

Normally, all the black/bare grounds would go to a common ground point on the back of the volume pot. It also appears that one lug of the five way switch is to be grounded as well to facilitate the coil splitting. That lug would also ground to the same point on the back of the volume pot.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

AxeTalker
    Ok. I guess I wasn't thinking enough. The way the wires are coiled and bound per pickup didn't leave enough room to ground them on the volume pot as well as reach the switch, so i can just pull the sheathing back a little. That helps.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Normally, all the black/bare grounds would go to a common ground point on the back of the volume pot. It also appears that one lug of the five way switch is to be grounded as well to facilitate the coil splitting. That lug would also ground to the same point on the back of the volume pot.
    Yup. In order for coil splitting to work with the import 5 way, you need to remove that glob of solder between to two common lugs.

Ok. I guess I wasn't thinking enough. The way the wires are coiled and bound per pickup didn't leave enough room to ground them on the volume pot as well as reach the switch, so i can just pull the sheathing back a little. That helps.
    Bucker leads are often cut to length for LP style guitars. On them, the hot goes to a pot lug and the ground goes to the back of that same pot.

I would likely put a little extension wire on that ground lead rather than cutting back the sheathing. Once you shorten a wire on a pickup, you are kind of stuck with that new shorter wire. (Unless your last name is Reilander...)

As you accumulate guitars and pickups and start going, "Hmm, I wonder how THIS pickup will sound in THAT guitar", you will want those pickups to have decent length cables.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.