Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finished lapsteel

finished lapsteel

Hey gang! A while ago I posted on building a Lap Steel for my dad. This one is the 2nd kick at it. You know how it go's when you 1st build things. How after the job is done you look at it & go I wish I did that different or better. So the 1st version is still about 2 3rds done & I built another one. If you saw how I cut a lot of this you all would have a good belly laugh. This is all hand done. The bridge was made by my brother & I. Simple but it works well. The pickup is a GFS lipstick tube which really suits the tone wanted with an instrument like this. When Sea Champ was over he felt that the wood was Honduran Mahogany. Its all tuned up to a C6th tuning & today it will be heading back to the island to my dad. He has no idea it even exists. I look forward to his reaction. He better like it cause I could build 3 partscasters in the time it took me to build this thing. Lol

Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I love it! Good job! Is the bridge cylindrical? Loni Spectre makes a cylindrical bridge that I'm thinking of getting for my Redneck conversion Tele.
    http://www.lapdancerguitars.com/pix/bigassbridge2.jpg
    I love lapsteels. I'd get a studio call for pedal steel, but I always took this Tele and my Monkey Ward Rocket. Artists/producers/engineers always said, "I gotta hear that thing." Quite surprising how many times they chose one of them over the Shobud!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	3672  
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

KC, you continue to impress me with these projects. It's got to be a challenge scratch-building something like that compared to a standard guitar....and it's gorgeous. I'd love to see the expression on your dad's face.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Thanks Hu. What we did was carve a triangular channel with a router in some aluminum bar stock. That made it so it would hold a 1/4 inch stainless rod. I drilled 2 countersunk holes in the channel then once it was strung up I found the sweet spot for the intonation & marked it removed the strings & screwed it to the body under the bar. The tail piece was like a standard Les Paul style we made out of aluminum as well. I plan on building another for myself. Maybe even an 8 string. Your approval means a lot bud. Thanks again.

Totally cool--I hope your dad enjoys it...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

nice job KC!!!

I wish I was your dad!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Well here is the end of this story. My dad got the steel on Monday & was totally blown away. He has been phoning me everyday since playing stuff over the phone & excitedly telling me of what he wants to do with it. Last night he was telling me about working on his reverse slants. He sure can make it come to life. The guy can still play well at 74. Mission accomplished. I just wanted to give him the inspiration to play again. Being an accomplished pedal steel player for all his adult life took a heavy hit when he lost his leg to diabetes a few years ago. It broke my heart hearing him say his ship had sailed with that & he had no desire to play anymore because he would never be as good again. Hearing the excitement in his voice about picking again made this project by far my most rewarding. Thanks for all your interest my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    Well here is the end of this story. My dad got the steel on Monday & was totally blown away. He has been phoning me everyday since playing stuff over the phone & excitedly telling me of what he wants to do with it. Last night he was telling me about working on his reverse slants. He sure can make it come to life. The guy can still play well at 74. Mission accomplished. I just wanted to give him the inspiration to play again. Being an accomplished pedal steel player for all his adult life took a heavy hit when he lost his leg to diabetes a few years ago. It broke my heart hearing him say his ship had sailed with that & he had no desire to play anymore because he would never be as good again. Hearing the excitement in his voice about picking again made this project by far my most rewarding. Thanks for all your interest my friends.
    That certainly sounds like it was worth it--and more...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    You are my Christmas hero!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.