Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for me.

One for me.

Hey gang. After building the lapper for my dad i decided that I wanted one for myself. What I like about doing these is that I will use stuff I got in the parts drawer that I wouldn't necessarily use on a guitar project. I had a set of cool Asian Gretsch pickups leftover from a customer build that he just gave me that actually sound pretty good so right there I saved some money. I managed to find a couple more Mahogany planks at my brothers so through the Christmas break I got a start on it. Like the last one I made it in 2 pieces. It looks crude to start with the tools that I use but in the end the finished unit looks pretty presentable. After gluing the 2 half's together I go at it with a rasp in the beginning to do the rough shape then change files & eventually go to grades of sandpaper & this is what comes out. I am near the finish line so this is where is stands today

342.photobucket.com/user/keletcaster/media/thumbnail_IMG_20160201_172518198_zpskg7ajvac.jpg.h tml][/URL]
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

That's real cool--if you ever get the hankering to build them for your fellow Axe Talk members--one with P-90's would be cool.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Very cool KC- where did you get the fretboard?

Thanks guys. On the 1st one of these I built I picked up the fretboard decal from Georgeboards. It was expensive & I planned on making more then one lap steel so when it arrived I took it to an industrial decal guy I know & we scanned it so we had the correct scale & now can make them at a fraction of the cost with whatever fret marker's I want. Good thing to is when I used that expensive Georgeboard decal I messed it up & couldn't use it.

Well the fretboard is cool--glad you have a reasonable option for them...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Looks good, KC. You'll be lap-dancing that steel in no time!
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Thanks all. Well here it is all finished. I had an unfortunate mishap with my wood plate so I made one out of some Tortoise Pickguard material I had. It plays excellent & really has some serious volume with the 014 to 056 strings I put on it. The 2 pickups are great with 3 nice usable tones. I can pull off a pretty nice country tone in the bridge & the neck has an awesome blues tone. I made the bridge, Tailpiece & nut out of some aluminum I picked up at the metal supermarket. My brother & I came up with a way we could channel oul that aluminum stock to hold the steel rod for the bridge. That trick I'm not giving away. Lol. I'm pleased with how they turned out. All in all I am very happy with how this turned out & its hard to believe it was a couple Mahogany bookshelves a couple months ago

Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

That turned out great, KC. Those tuners look interesting.....What are they?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I got them from our side of the border from BEZDEZ. I don't know why but I just think Lapper's gotta have open gear tuners. Lol. They are nicer than the Wilkinson tuners like that I've used a few times. Not sure of the brand spell.

I'm not a fan ofTort--but other than that--it looks cool.

Enjoy!