Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Strat Project

Ultra Strat Project

I've been stowing away parts for this for a while. I have owned a Tele Plus since 1989. I got in on the 1st ones that were released & to this day it is still my favorite guitar, I love Lace Sensor pickups & always wanted to build an Ultra Strat like project. After a few Craigslist deals I got a Red,Silver & Blue single & then picked up a Dually Silver about a month later. I also picked up a pro rebuilt Ibanez Roadstar neck from the early 80's a few months ago. The Tone Bomb Alder strat body fits the neck perfectly. Today I finally got going on this project.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I like the pickguard & pickups--nice...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

That has the makings of a fine guitar, KC. It's interesting to see you building something that's kind of tribute guitar.

I've never heard the Lace pickups, but they definitely have a following, so I suspect they're quite good. Am I correct that the different colours represent different degrees of hotness or output? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

That is a neat pickguard, with the red lamination.....A bit like the Terrapin guard that I ordered for my Bigsby Strat. I like that look, and I'm a bit surprised that they're not that common.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on it. Have you figured out a finish scheme yet? I've been admiring the red Tele you posted in P90 thread.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

This one I'm doing a coach works all hand done black. I got the black on this weekend & my sandpaper is now soaking in water with dish soap. I have the know how & the means to spray them but I really found that I enjoy doing them the long way. The black will still show the grain this way. The fun thing about doing them like this is I don't totally know what I'm gonna get until it's all over.

I have worked on the black all week & this is it this morning. I just mocked it up to give a demo on how it will look. I have a ways to go but its getting there. I only received one of my knobs I got off E bay The other is on its way.

Nice to see you making some headway, KC. I'm not a fan of black, as you know, but I have no doubt it'll turn out well. It's surprising how much the red lamination of the pickguard pops against the black body.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Nice to see you making some headway, KC. I'm not a fan of black, as you know, but I have no doubt it'll turn out well. It's surprising how much the red lamination of the pickguard pops against the black body.
    I love the black look--especially on this--would look cooler with a darker fingerboard--but even without that, it still looks great.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Thanks guys. I think it looks pretty bad ass. Lol. Tonight I installed the Wilkinson tremolo I picked up for this project a while ago. I am very impressed with the quality of construction of this bridge. Everything about it is nice The saddles are excellent & I'm a guy who swaps them out on a regular basis. No need to this time. The press in arm is an excellent fit with the perfect tension. Its got nice big steel block with a major upgrade in my opinion to a fender where they staggered the string holes in an average intonation pattern which will make the string travel straight up the hole & onto the saddle without any contact on the base plate. Fender should have done that like 50 years ago. I am very confident this is exactly what I wanted for this project.

Well I'm all up & running strong. I did the final setup on this over the weekend & it plays beautiful. The Dually Silver Lace Sensor in the bridge is a really nice sounding pickup. They must have made that model for a very short time because I cant find any real info on it. It will produce an authentic CBS Strat tone with the rear coil thinner & brighter then the front as expected. With both coils activated Lace sensor Dually's are truly amazing. Strong but with nice full tone. I like how this model has a lighter edge to it then the Dually Red in my Tele. I like the bridge but I am not nuts over the press in arm it does wiggle around in the socket a bit but its not terrible. I ended up having to shave down the heel of the neck by 2 millimeters because it sat to tall in the pocket & my adjustment on my saddles had to be at max to play buzz free. It looked sub par so the easiest fix was to lower the heel. I thought about doing the neck pocket it self but the only way I knew I would be truly level was to do the heel. The Road Star neck is wicked to play I find it to be very Tele like in its feel. The frets a bang on level so I was able to run my action nice & low right out of the gate. It plays like butter. Smokin' fast! I am waiting for a few finishing touches to show up in the mail & will post the final photo's when they arrive.

You're teasing us, KC! Can't wait to see the pictures.