Thread: Long over due Super Strat Project

Long over due Super Strat Project

What started out as a simple neck and bridge swap turned out to be a much bigger project than anticipated. A buddy of mine wanted to revert his superstrat from its super modified state to something more traditional. At some point in its life, the original neck went missing, and was replaced with a larivee 'poke your eye out' neck like this one...

...and a larivee floyd rose-style bridge (the owner of this guitar worked at larivee for a time). The owner wanted to put a fender neck back on as well as a more traditional bridge. No problem

Well, it wasn't long before we had a problem. I had ordered a traditional style trem that is supposed to mount directly on the posts of a floyd rose... no modification needed. Problem is... this bridge wasn't a floyd rose, it was a floyd rose-style. The posts where way off. In pulling the post mounts, I severely chipped the lower hole... :/ So much for simple.

So... I made some plugs with maple (because I had it on hand) and plugged the post holes. I then laid out the new neck, and lined up the bridge. Holes for new posts where then drilled.
    Last edited by Mreilander; 06-20-2016 at 11:16 AM.

At this point, I knew that the new bridge wasn't going to cover the old post holes and plugs, so it would need paint... and we were about to move, so one the back burner it went.

Fast forward 3years... At this point, my business was keeping me extremely busy. I couldn't dedicate the time I needed to get this strat the way I wanted. So, I gave KC a ring to see if he would be able to prep and prime the body for me. I drop it off, and her calls me a couple weeks later. I go pick it up, and the thing is flawless
    (I'm not sure why, but the rest of the pics are sideways)

This guitar originally had a pearl white finish that had aged. I decided to re-finish it in GM's White Diamond pearl... the same color as those white Escalades. I went to my local paint supplier and they mixed my tri-coat for me in rattle cans.

Ground coat applied

Pearl coat

After 4 coats of clear

Now I just have to let it set up for a week, then its wet sand and polish

I'd like to give a special thanks to KC for all his help on this project. It probably would have taken another 2 years if it wasn't for him

I love seeing member co-op projects here.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Mod threads are great! I'm looking forward to watching this happen, Mike.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I'll be following this--so far, so good...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Thanks for your kind words Mike. We gotta do more stuff together. It was fun.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Glad to see it happening!