Thread: Rebuilding a Tele

Rebuilding a Tele

I built this Tele quite a while back. Some of it I liked & some things I didn't like. I decided to tear it down & fix what I wasn't happy with. The body I left in a slab form. I liked the look but it hurt to play after a while. The finish was very close to another I have which I didn't like either. The neck was not great & is the one I rebuilt on the fixing a blunder thread. The electrical I had set up with no pickup switch. I had a separate concentric control for each pickup & a spin o split for the second coil on the Humbucker. It never functioned the way I felt it would so I opted to change that out for one Concentric, a pickup switch & left the Spin o Split. All these things have had some attention on & I am happy so far with the results. It's definitely turning out to be no cookie cutter Axe The body & neck have been refinished with Danish oil then buffed with antique wax. I carved a belly cut & an arm contour on the body & modified the pickguard to show off more of that gorgeous grain in the white ash body I beleve these changes are going to result in making this guitar way better. It already sounded excellent with the Jerry Sentell pickups. I'm not far from the reassembly. Stay tuned.

Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Smaller, or when possible, no pickguard is a great idea if it shows off the woodgrain.
    that was one of the reasons I decided not to use my EB3 copy bass body for an SG copy & build a new body for the bass.
    To cover up the work I would have had to cover up some beautiful grain.

there were other reasons-- including I would have ruined the bass.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I love that oak look!

I love it too. I have finished my projects in many different ways but I'm finding that when I spend so much time carving and sanding on the same slab of wood I really start admiring the beauty in the character of the grain and knots within it. The instruments that I have done in respect to the wood are my favorites.

The new finish on the body is a big improvement.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Today I did the final setup on this & it plays like it sounds which is awesome. The 10 inch radius on the neck was a good choice it really responds well to rock style play & works well for everything else I might throw at it. You can bend the strings right off the neck without any interruption. The medium Evo Gold Frets are the perfect height for my liking. This rebuild had its ups & downs but in the end a very happy ending. There is not a single thing I do not like about this guitar anymore. Thanks all for your interest.