Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Project

That completely makes sense. Bonding it to a metal backing will stabilize it.

I was even concerned that the pickup springs under tension could snap those wood bezels...

When you look at the fragility of small natural wood products, it gives a renewed appreciation of what builders go through in manufacturing wooden pickguards.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I can only imagine- there is a reason most pickguards are not wood

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    Your definitely right about Mahogany being brittle. Right after I finished cutting the first one out on my scroll saw. Mr butterfingers dropped it on the cement. The result was breaking it in 3 pieces. So I decided to find a way to repair it. what I did I will do again for sure. I glued the rough cut ring's on top of some old beater flat metal rings I had with good Ol' Titebond original wood glue. I was surprised how hard it bonded cause they don't budge. Then I filed it to the shape then sanded them. This made a nice guide to follow to keep my lines straight. I could also make them as short as I wanted to because they are now reinforced with steel. I had a chat with Mike last night & ordered one of his underwound humbuckers for the neck called a Muckbucker today.

Cool--now let's see if I can get somebody to help me with that for my Iceman.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I made the jack plate the last day or two. What I did was make one out of brass then used double sided tap on it to hold 80 grit sandpaper. I then sanded on a piece of mahogany until it fit the plate perfectly. Then I glued it & finished shaping the top side. It turned out pretty well. Not many people would spend the hours to make a little thing like this unless your a eccentric weirdo like me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	3808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	3809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	3810  
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

looks like a lot of work- but looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    I made the jack plate the last day or two. What I did was make one out of brass then used double sided tap on it to hold 80 grit sandpaper. I then sanded on a piece of mahogany until it fit the plate perfectly. Then I glued it & finished shaping the top side. It turned out pretty well. Not many people would spend the hours to make a little thing like this unless your a eccentric weirdo like me.
    Hey why not--it's all part of the package--and metal ones work best--less likely to break--and they hold the plug better that way. then adjusting the look with the wood is cool.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

What I'm about to do to this guitar body may not be for all audience members. Viewer discretion is advised.

This took a while to do because you have to be careful not to scorch the very dry wood. Almost 2 hours. The results are in my opinion very cool. On the knots the pitch would come to the surface & flame up which was interesting at times. This guitar is built to be beat up & weather as time go's on. This is one you want have heart failure if its scratched or dinged. Its starting to all come together.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Artistry!

I wish I could play a solid body guitar like this in gigs but I need that bigger sound that only a hollowbody can give me!

Should look cool once it's all together--it certainly does along the way.