Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Project

Latest Project

I have been showing you guys the rebuild on the old Larravee neck of mine on my Locknut reversal thread. I have been putting some time into the body for it the last couple days. This is a Knotty Pine Wolfgang body I had the guys down at Tonebomb design me. They didn't make one with a tune o matic bridge so when I requested this from Peter I agreed to be patient while they worked out the details. I have been working on the body contours like a belly cut & arm contour & rounding all the corners. I believe this will be a great guitar when its finished. I have a Seymour Duncan Slash Alnico II for the bridge & have been in contact with Mike on getting a neck pickup. I'm still not 100% on what to do there. I just want lighter sounding then your average bucker in the neck sound. I have really been leaning toward this rustic look with my builds lately & can see my stuff going in this direction. I have done custom paint jobs & vintage colors but lately I have grown tired of that look & want my builds to be original & out of the norm. Like you wont see hanging in a music store. Not long ago I see this red Tele hanging in a store that looked surprisingly like one I built selling for like 500 bucks & it kinda pissed me off. Not nice as mine but it looked like it. So came the directional change. Anyway this is where it stands today Stay tuned for more.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

That looks like a fun project, KC. I was wondering what was going to become of the neck you refurbished, so it's nice to see it moving forward.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

can't wait to see this one!

Cool--I like the look of the grain as well.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Thanks guy's! I couldn't find any pickup rings that worked for this project so I made these out of Mahogany the last couple days.

I look forward to watching this guitar come to life.

Who's the guy holding the guitar?
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    Thanks guy's! I couldn't find any pickup rings that worked for this project so I made these out of Mahogany the last couple days.
    I tried doing that once--one came out okay--the other looked bulky--and I had help from someone good with tools, but not much knowledge of guitars.
    Unfortunately the colour of the wood didn't suit the guitar so I didn't use them.
    What's the best way to do that?
    (They woudl be for my Iceman since the rings are not a standard size--and what darker woods would work best?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I would guess rosewood would be a good choice. I think it can be cut and drilled fairly finely to hold the sharpness of edges. I think it's been one of the woods of choice for pickup risers and bridge bases for a while. Walnut might look good too.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I like the mahogany look but wouldn't they be very prone to snapping?

Your definitely right about Mahogany being brittle. Right after I finished cutting the first one out on my scroll saw. Mr butterfingers dropped it on the cement. The result was breaking it in 3 pieces. So I decided to find a way to repair it. what I did I will do again for sure. I glued the rough cut ring's on top of some old beater flat metal rings I had with good Ol' Titebond original wood glue. I was surprised how hard it bonded cause they don't budge. Then I filed it to the shape then sanded them. This made a nice guide to follow to keep my lines straight. I could also make them as short as I wanted to because they are now reinforced with steel. I had a chat with Mike last night & ordered one of his underwound humbuckers for the neck called a Muckbucker today.

Last edited by Keletcaster; 09-20-2016 at 06:49 PM.