Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Parts drawer Esquire.

Yup-now that I see the yellowish tint to it-need to a do a Jaguar like that...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Today I give the body it's 1st coat of tung oil. I will give it one coat a day until it's up to my satisfaction. I worked on the neck some more today fixing a few spots I didn't like. I will dye it for the rest of the day & maybe start oiling that tomorrow after work. Reading up on the tung oil finishing they recommend 24 hours between coats. So that's what I will do on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170416_112051310_HDR.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	3932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170416_112037453_HDR.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	3933  
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

This afternoon I took a shot at hand carving a nut & some string retainers out of brass. I still have to make some 5mm post's for the retainers & file the string slots. I am pleased how they turned out. This guitar will definitely be a one of a kind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170416_171412434.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	3934  

The brass for string retainers is a novel idea. I don't think I've heard that one before. It's hard to say if it could make a difference in sound, but I recently saw a discussion elsewhere regarding the influence of different tuners, string trees, and nuts, based on the idea that they're as much of a part of the mechanical coupling to the body as the bridge.

I'm a believer in the brass nut idea. I think it's more natural when open strings are played along with fretted strings. Having played the Les Paul Junior I rebuilt for my buddy with both a brass nut and then a bone nut, I'd say bone yields a refined tone but brass really makes things lively.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Considering I never play open chords, a brass nut probably wouldn't matter for me

I've used brass nuts before & like the response but wouldn't use one on everything. I prefer Graphtech or bone. I'm having fun making as many parts as I can on this project & thought it would go nicely with all the other brass parts. Same for the string retainers. I just wanted to see if I could make them.

I have nylon & plastic--but also bone & a brass/bone hybrid--and a Tusq nut as well--nice to have variety.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I got quite a bit done on this over the weekend. The finish is complete & the tuners & nut are installed. I opted to go with 2 coats of acrylic lacquer to finish it in the end. Acrylic lacquer has the same advantages as nitro i just doesn't check over time. The only advantage any lacquer has is that it is a thin coat allowing the body to resonate better. Nitro doesn't allow the body to breath as often boasted because the wood stopped breathing when it was cut down. It's dead. Lol. Still waiting for the control pots & I got to hunt down some more 1/8 brass plate to make the neck plate. It's all coming together.

That's a really unique guitar, KC.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

So would you ever do a Jaguar like that?
    Maybe do something to make it a little more spotted or the spots a bit darker--you could do a woodgrain jaguar look--which would be cool.
    I does look cool here as well.