Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New project guitar

That's gonna be one pretty guitar.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    That's gonna be one pretty guitar.
    It will be a looker. I'm just hoping everything fits. My experience with a GFS body (misplaced neck rout, crooked string-through holes) has left me suspicious of their stuff. If you read threads on TDPRI, there are lots of stories about issues that involved returned bodies.....I find myself wondering if they actually trash them, or whether they get put back in the pile for somebody else to purchase.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Hey, I was going to mention, in regard to tinted neck finishes......I used to work in the flooring business, and one of the better floor finishes we sold was a waterborne finish (which would work as a wipe-on application) that is called Vintage Amber. I'm going to try it myself if I ever end up with another unfinished neck. I suspect that it's probably a lot nicer-feeling than any sort of poly. Also, waterborne finishes can be patched in, unlike a poly, so repairs are possible if needed. It wouldn't take much volume to do a neck, and it's only sold in gallons, but once the cross-linker is added and activated, it has a limited shelflife......so you could probably make a deal with a floor-installer on a left-over balance from a job.

This better be a good guitar!! I just totaled everything and realized I could have got a nice used MIM Fender for what I'm putting into this thing.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

The economics of guitar-building are pretty topsy-turvey when you start breaking it down. Whether you buy a finished guitar as a build platform and start changing and adding parts that make it exactly what you want, or start ordering parts to scratch-assemble, the costs add up pretty quick. My first Strat involved about 900.00 in parts, and more recent changes and improvements have pushed it closer to 1500.00. That would have bought a nice new MIA Strat. I have no regrets about it because what I've ended up with is a lifetime keeper that I like better than any guitar I could buy off-the-rack.

The subsequent builds are less gratifying because they don't play as well for me, but as I tire of them, they're virtually unsaleable at anything close to what they cost me. I wouldn't worry about it, Stan, if you think you'll like the Tele enough to keep it long-term. If you think you'll tire of it in a couple of years and want to move on, you have to accept that the dough you spent was largely for the pleasure of building something that personifies you.

Just looking at where you're starting out, I think this'll be a great guitar.

Thanks SC. I did my Splattercaster build 4 years ago and it has lasted me longer than any purchases I've made. My first build, based on a Squier Series labeled MIM didn't stay in the family very long and there was a substantial loss in $$ on that.

Added the electronics, control plate and wiring today. Waiting for output jack, neck plate screws, tuners, string trees, and strap pins. Just realized that this is my first wood grain and first gold hardware guitar since I started playing in the 70s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170415_181545.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	3929  

That looks good with the red pickguard. Cool.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Yeah, red looks good on that burst body......A lot better than that brownish tort that Fender was so fond of in the 60's. Sounds like you're close to done, with the assembly anyway. How's everything lining up?

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    The economics of guitar-building are pretty topsy-turvey when you start breaking it down. Whether you buy a finished guitar as a build platform and start changing and adding parts that make it exactly what you want, or start ordering parts to scratch-assemble, the costs add up pretty quick. My first Strat involved about 900.00 in parts, and more recent changes and improvements have pushed it closer to 1500.00. That would have bought a nice new MIA Strat. I have no regrets about it because what I've ended up with is a lifetime keeper that I like better than any guitar I could buy off-the-rack.

The subsequent builds are less gratifying because they don't play as well for me, but as I tire of them, they're virtually unsaleable at anything close to what they cost me. I wouldn't worry about it, Stan, if you think you'll like the Tele enough to keep it long-term. If you think you'll tire of it in a couple of years and want to move on, you have to accept that the dough you spent was largely for the pleasure of building something that personifies you.

Just looking at where you're starting out, I think this'll be a great guitar.
    I don't think you can go into looking to save money--but to get a guitar you love.

When I modded my Les Paul copy I knew that what I put into it wouldn't bring anything I could recoup if I sold it--but now I play it & I love it.
    Before it sat unplayed & wasn't going to get me much if I sold it.
    I'd get more selling the pickups & some of the new parts separately...

But it ain't for sale.

So cool progress there on this guitar e-stan
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.