Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New project guitar

Since I cheaped out on the neck and body, I guess its time to enter the realm of crowning and leveling at home. Thanks KC.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

Sounds like a good thing to learn!

Glad I could encourage you to do that Stan. These are my main tools.

This is what I was taught to use for leveling. Its just a foot long piece of 2 X 1 metal tube. You can pick one up at any metal supply store. I double side tape 320 grit paper on it. You simply let the weight of the tube do the job. just sanding randomly without spending to much time in one spot so you don't sand it lop sided.

This is the 3rd crowning file I have purchased. I bought 2 cheaper 0nes before this which I struggled with then I got smart & invested in a good one. Just a few swipes with this & your crown is back after the level.

This took some fooling around to get this right. It's my fret bevel I made. I had to change the angle a few times to get that perfect angle on the fret ends. Stu Mac is kind enough to show us what the tools are supposed to be Then go make your own.

This is the most important tool of all a good straight edge so you can see what the neck is doing. I like this one because it's notched for Fender scale on one side & Gibson on the other & you can get it flat on the board which makes it easier to see then one that sits on top of the frets.

& last but not least a good fret rocker so you can identify where your trouble spots are. Any way I can help you out let me know. Put a piece of regular parchment paper under your nut folded once to see if that makes a difference. Even if its to high it should give you an idea if those nut slots are way to low. quite often I simply use a piece of 220 folded once on the neck heal between the body to tilt the neck by a few degrees then concentrate on the issues with the nut if there are any. What your describing almost sounds like the heal height is too tall which I have encountered as well a couple times which can be fixed by sanding i down to a lower height. Try to take some photo's of the butt of the neck so I can see how high that is if you have time. Best of luck bud.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I already have that same straight edge and rocker and use the straight edge all the time. Thanks!!
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!