Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hohner HS35 owners

Neophyte

Hohner HS35 owners

Are there any Hohner HS35 owners out there? I have owned and played one of these fine Korean made guitars for abut 4 years now and I find it to be a professional instrument in every way. I switched out the pickups with GFS Retrotrons and the sound is amazing. I don't find many other owners here or any where else.

I'm New!
    I have had mine since 97, very high quality workmanship and instrument,. bought new, plays fantastic with light guage strings. Have debated whether to replace pickups, they are rather flat, but OK for blues / jazz. I think it is a rare guitar, it gets a lot of attention when I play in jams.

I don't own a Hohner, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Actually, Terry, I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Nice to see yet another Canadian joining us.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Neophyte

Sweet Hohner HS35

Greetings,

I played a fine example of a HS35 in a pawnshop 3 days ago. A good friend and band member was with me. Today he brought me the guitar and gave it to me. I have spent the last 6 hours playing and getting aquainted with her. She looks brand new and plays sweeter than so many more expensive guitars. I love this beautiful sounding and great feeling guitar. She speak my kind of language.

Blues, Jazz, Rockabilly, Country all fall into this and out comes pefection in sound. My great and generous friend, an older nashville recording artist, said when I played it, "That is the best sounding guitar I have ever heard!" I concur with that sentiment.

Low action, smooth as silk, and a neck that seems extremely fast for smooth speedy passages! I think it was love at first sight, was positive when first played, and will remain a lifetime affair. Speak softly on my blues guitar...

Willie D. Bluesman of The Blue Notes Band
    Last edited by Willie D; 12-19-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: errors in spelling

Wow. Willie D's gonna have a Merry Christmas thanks to his great and generous friend!

Welcome to Axetalk!

Neophyte
    Thanks for the welcome. This friend of mine has given away 8 guitars that I know of to friends of his this year alone. I am the recipient of an Epiphone Black Beauty III, an Ibanez Artcore 75, a Fender 12 string acoustic/electric, and now this sweet Hohner. All of this over the last 6 months! When I tell him, you need to stop, he says, "Don't you worry about it." or "You deserve it." I enjoy his company, but feel guilty every time he stops over with another guitar for me to "set up" for him, when I get it set up, he always says either, "I'll leave it here for a few days for you to play." or " Keep it, it's yours." He has given a Taylor, and another acoustic guitar to his pastor, and two to my uncle, along with a Fender acoustic amplifier. My uncle and he shared the stages for 24 years in bands, and Denzil, the Nashville recording friend, never forgets those who work for or with him. You can find his 14 week, Number one hit, BIG BLUE BABY EYES by Denzil Alcorn on You Tube if you are interested. I understand it has a kind of cult following in Europe, and still sells over there for quite a bit of money. I have an autographed 45 rpm that he signed and gave to my Dad and Mom back in 1969 when I was just 13-14 or so!! He is a great person and fun to share a stage with as well.

So you are right doublewah, it is a great Christmas, and I wish one of the same to you and yours.

"..and I'll have a blue, blue, blue Christmas."

Willie D

Denzil knows how to give the gift of music!
    What a fine man. Thank you for letting us know who this generous person is.
    I will check his music out this evening...

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlsmith View Post
    Are there any Hohner HS35 owners out there? I have owned and played one of these fine Korean made guitars for abut 4 years now and I find it to be a professional instrument in every way. I switched out the pickups with GFS Retrotrons and the sound is amazing. I don't find many other owners here or any where else.
    I just found one of these right before Christmas 2013, Vintage Sunburst, with what appears to be the original HSC.
    both in near mint condition.
    Action is low and no buzzes, neck is straight.
    Paid 350 US for probably the best playing and sounding guitar I have found yet. That includes several Fender USA Strats
    7 Taylors, 1 Martin, 1 Collings, 3 Ovations, and a dozen others over the last 41 years!
    This model has the pickup switch in the upper bout( like a Les Paul) and the output Jack also in the side like a Les Paul.
    As far as look,fit, and finish, I would put this up against a Gibson ES 335 anyday, Having never PLAYED a Gibson, I can't
    make the comparison for sound.
    The pickups are not as loud as The Epi Les Paul 1960 Tribute I just traded for that has GIBSON 57 classic pickups.
    For the price I don't think I will ever find a guitar this nice( or for 10 times the price for that matter).

Welcome to Axetalk, kj.

I am so jealous!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

AT Member
    Thanks, and I forgot to add, mine says Made In China on the label inside!