Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My pedal board

Bet it would look good next to and hooked up to a Princeton!
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

MMMMMM...............Wish you hadn't said that! I'm looking for a small amp that'll fit in the trunk of my car (thread in the amp section) and a Princeton Reverb would be the best of all possible worlds for me. I actually owned an absolutely mint 66 PR that I bought from the original owner (along with a nice Takamine acoustic and a clip on Dean Markley pickup - 180.00 for the lot) about ten years ago. Sadly, it was a victim of my former drug habit....I think I sold it for 120.00, and it hurts to think about it!

What I'd love to find is a not too beaten Silverface solid state version, which would satisfy me for tone, and would survive being hauled around in my trunk.....and if it wasn't dead mint, I wouldn't be afraid to move it around. That's more money than I'd planned on spending for a small amp (I had been thinking in the 150.00 range) but if I waited to buy a Princeton, I'd never have to worry about under-buying. That's a mistake I've made in the past. Christmas is coming....and I give myself nice presents.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

one word, Spellcaster... TWEED

Tweed isn't my taste, dB. A while ago, I traded my Vox VR30R straight across for a nice 66 VibroChamp, assuming that I'd find the same tone that so many people find magical. I was disappointed to say the least. To me, the VC sounds like every nasty little practice amp I owned as a kid. Eventually, it became a question of either sell it and move on, or turn it into something I'd be happier with. I had just had JC Maillot of viva Analog go through my Twin Reverb and make it right, and he did a great job....So, I decided to try his "Fire Breathing Champ" mods on the VC, which effectively is a modded Fender 5F1-A Tweed circuit. It was, if possible, even less desireable to me. Not to say anything negative about the mod process, as I know a lot of people are very enthused about it....But, it really wasn't for me. I've come to the conclusion that what a lot of people think is great "vintage tone" just isn't where I'm at, and when people say "Tweed"....I run the other way.

For those interested, here's a link to JC's web page on the Champ. There's a lot of really good info on other mods and info for vintage Fenders and Marshalls. If you're an amp guy, you'll undoubtedly find it interesting.

The '72 Fire Breathing Champ Page

Welcome to "viva Analog"

gotcha!!!!! Only "tweed" (looking) thing I have is my PEavey C30

Very cool idea, that case.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

One of the ideas I kicked around for a while was building a pedal board that was designed to fit in a rectangular Fender guitar case. I figure the main part of the interior was big enough to accomodate a fair sized pedalboard, and the storage compartment under the neck portion and headstock part would be perfect storage for power supplies, batteries, and cables. It would be easy to pack around, offer good protection for the electronics, and ensure that you don't forget the small stuff. Plus, I think it would be absolutely cool to have a nice tweed or black tolex pedalboard case with a chrome Fender amp logo on the side. If I ever decide I need more pedals than my present pedalboard accomodates, that'll be the "Mark II" model.

I made my board out of a piece of pegboard, sized to fit into a case I use to carry my stands & cords & such:

This is an older version, but you get the idea. The board fits just into a "sweet spot" on top of all the other stuff, and the foam lining of the case holds it snugly in place so nothing rattles around. The holes in the pegboard are useful because I use a combination of Velcro and zip ties to hold everything down, and it allows for a free-form arrangement. The only thing that's fixed is the wah, since i cut holes into which the rubber feet fit.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.