Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedalboard noise issues

I've been holding off diagnosing it until my other amp arrived. It's in my hands now, and that'll probably be next weeks project. Since the Twin Reverb's had it's own eccentricities lately, I figured having a backup amp made sense.

I remember that one of the reasons I went with the OneSpot was that it had a high current capability.....I think they claimed up to twenty pedals, which sounds a bit far-fetched to me, but I'm sure it should be okay with six. I also have a gruesomely large high quality 120VAC-9VDC adaptor that originated in a cell phone 3 watt boost kit that I've tried too, but it didn't change anything from the symptom I was getting when I was using the OneSpot.

What's weird is that this thing never moves....I don't gig much and the board hasn't so much as been unplugged in months. Just....one day, it suddenly had a hissy-fit for no reason.

I'm back on this project again. It's been quite enlightening hearing the difference plugging straight in with no effects, and if I never solve the pedalboard issue it won't be the end of the world. It just bugs me when things don't work, so.....

I've set up the Vox amp with two known good patchcords and the OneSpot. I've sequentially tested the Daphon Chorus, the BOSS DS1, the BOSS DD3, the BOSS 65 Deluxe Reverb, and the BOSS 59 Bassman pedals, individually. Each one was set for unity gain, and I'm not hearing the background noise floor increasing dramatically with any of them.

I'm going to test my alternate 9 volt regulated supply with a couple of single pedals to verify that it's working, and then, with all the pedals back on the board, test the pedalboard with the alternate supply.

Next step, I guess, will be patchcord substitutions.

Anything I'm missing here?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I've come to the conclusion that this is power supply related. When I started to test the alternate power supply, it worked, but the pedal I was using to test (a Danalectro Slap Echo) seemed weak and didn't produce much echo when dimed. I plugged the OneSpot into the pedal and instant hiss....really huge amounts of hiss. I grabbed another pedal, a Damalectro Octave, and same story.....worked with the alternate supply, albeit a little low and distorted, but when the One Spot was used, hiss city. Although the Boss pedals work with the OneSpot one-at-a-time, I suspect that in series on the pedalboard, the OneSpot's producing the noise. Unfortunately, I'm out of options - The alternate supply, which used to measure 9.4 volts, now puts out 8.2 volts, so it's pooched too. I guess I'll reassemble the pedalboard and put it away until I can afford another power supply. It definitely won't be another OneSpot.....I paid 35.00 plus shipping for this POS and probably got less than 100 hours use from it, in my living room and never gigged or moved. Very unimpressed.

Anybody got any recommendations about what I should look at next time? I seem to remember there being a Dunlop unit called a Brick or something. Are they any good? I've always had good luck with Dunlop products. My Dunlop volume pedal was built like a brick outhouse.

Kinda hoping OneCarefulOwner will chime in here, being our apparent authority on pedal devices. How 'bout it, OCO?

I've found a solution to the problem.

I closed the lid on the pedalboard and put it in the closet. I've tried every pedal on it's own with a new battery installed and I've come to the conclusion that plugging in direct just sounds better. I'd been going direct for quite a while, putting off dealing with the pedalboard. Since I haven't been able to resolve what I think is a power supply problem using the OneSpot, I tried them, one at a time, using fresh alkalines.

There's an audible difference in how sweet the amp sounds when there's just a patchcord between the guitar jack and the amp, or the wireless output jack and amp......Sounds great either way, but put a pedal in between, even shut off, and things go downhill. I've never heard this difference before and felt ambivalent, but now - actually hearing a difference for the first time - I buy into it.

For years I was an audiophile and the concept of the best fidelity coming from "straight wire with gain" can pretty easily be extrapolated to guitars and amps. Just my opinion, but I've come to the conclusion that anything that is between the pickup/pots on the guitar and the input jack of the amp diminishes the fundamental character of the guitar.

I feel like I just discovered the cure for Pedal GAS.

I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

I hear the same thing SC. My ears seems to be very sensitive to noise from additional connections from pedals. My Morley A/B switch is all but unusable because so much noise comes through. My '58 Jet is dead quiet all the way up the dial but as soon as you throw something in front of that input cable the signal deteriorates quickly and noticeably- so much that I feel like I am ruining the amp.

But here we come back to the rehash of simple circuit vs. complicated circuit. Fact is, the more stuff that the signal has to go through, the more the amp needs to compensate and recover that signal...

I'm toying with the idea of selling all my pedals and pedalboard. The only thing I can imagine missing at all is having a delay, but it's an effect I use sporadically in very subtle degrees. If I ever did get another one, I'd be looking for something with "true bypass", as I assume that would eliminate the corruption I'm hearing with these other pedals in line.

So now I have to decide whether it's worthwhile to put up with the BS of advertising on craigslist and dealing with potential buyers (and time-wasters, low-ballers, test pilots, and people casing me for a robbery). I'd much rather sell this stuff online (in the forums - not on eBay!) but the cost of shipping via Canada Post is going to scare away most people. Who's going to pay 20.00-25.00 shipping on a 50.00 pedal?

You want a delay? How about a Fender '63 reissue reverb unit? Now that's something I'd like to have...

Yeah, I've had the hots for the stand-alone reverb unit for years. Best not think about it now.....I have no dough to cure GAS......

me too! I'd love to have one!