Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need mixer suggestions

I really don't need it. I have a PA if I need power- besides adding power will increase the cost hugely- I'd rather have simply and quality than added features.

Wow. When you guys hate something, you sure let 'er rip, doncha?

Fine, be that way. I've got 4 Behringer mixers. A top-loaded in my drummer's rehearsal room, another (with USB) in my home-studio, and two powered mixers that I gig with, up to 10 times a week. (Not kidding here.) I buy them because I love singing through them.

I had a powered Carvin mixer that served me faithfully for over 10 years, but my service guy was getting tired of taking it apart to clean and replace pots. (I don't care what kind of car you drive - you drive enough and it will need servicing.)

I found a great price on one of these Behringer powered mixers. I liked it so much I bought another one and gave my tired old Carvin mixer to my friend's nephew.

I have two things against Behringer. Yes, their products have a nice low price, but they are not made to be servicable. They are real hard to take apart. But then, I can say that about lots of things. My Mackie 1202 is a pain to service, so I just loan it out to students.

The second thing against Behringer is this:
    Behringer: XENYX UFX1604
    They have been promising this mixer for at least 18 months. They change the specs now and then, but every time they think of something new to put in there, the release date gets pushed. At this point, it will hook up to a computer with USB or Firewire. You can use it as a control surface for your computer recording software. OR you can take it to a gig, plug in a memory stick and record your whole show in 16 tracks.
    And now they have a smaller one coming (but when?):
    Behringer: XENYX UFX1204
    When they make a powered version of this I'm in.

The reason I suggested a mixer with USB is because of your kids. They are going to want to record their musical talents and ideas. But by the time they get into that, USB will probably be replaced with a wireless port to the brain.

So I take back my Behringer suggestion. Besides, in a couple of years, when the pots need cleaning I'll never hear the end of it.
    Can I interest you in this?
    Mackie 402-VLZ3 | Sweetwater.com
    Mackie are just as bad as Behringer for servicability, but their products are more sturdy and use better parts, so it will probably be a few more years before you need to clean the pots. This mixer has less channels and does not have USB out, but you save $10.
    Last edited by doublewah; 01-22-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Double post.......
    Last edited by anfontan; 01-22-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    "Minister of useless trivia-that says it all!"

If you want low noise and built like a tank and very dependable I would look for a used Mackie board. If 4 xlr, & 4 stereo channels will work for you look for a 1202 Micro Series-I've used a 1202 for my home recording for probably 10 years and never had an issue or a problem, my board is older with better components though. No on board effects though.
    If you need more channels try a larger used Mackie.

I use a powered Carvin for my live gigs and never had a problem there either. Yamaha is always a good brand. I think either of these brands will be fine!
    "Minister of useless trivia-that says it all!"

sigh the more choices you see the more you wonder what to get.
    I did notice the one with the multitrack recording. I doubt my kids will be looking to record themselves soon but I was thinking another use. I believe that some transcription software will automatically write out the notes when you play them. So I wonder if this would make my life easier down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by anfontan View Post
    If you want low noise and built like a tank and very dependable I would look for a used Mackie board. If 4 xlr, & 4 stereo channels will work for you look for a 1202 Micro Series-I've used a 1202 for my home recording for probably 10 years and never had an issue or a problem, my board is older with better components though. No on board effects though.
    If you need more channels try a larger used Mackie.

I use a powered Carvin for my live gigs and never had a problem there either. Yamaha is always a good brand. I think either of these brands will be fine!
    I also have an old mackie.The keyword is OLD.
    The newer stuff is china,no more mackoids from washington.
    My service guy sez there are even behringer sourced parts in it.
    Yamaha is good.

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
    ........Yamaha is good. JJ
    I'm not well-versed on PA gear, but I would agree with John's comment about Yamaha. I see lots of it used in local bands, and the last band I played with had a Yamaha mixer and two Yamaha powered boards and they were ultra-reliable.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by anfontan View Post
    If you want low noise and built like a tank and very dependable I would look for a used Mackie board...
    I agree, but let me add this - Take your time checking out the used board. Have the seller plug it to a PA or stereo (reasonably loud) so you can hear it warming up. Listen for crackles and pops. If you hear them, there is probably a bad op-amp or two. Keeping it loud, with the master volume up, turn all the pots. Let it run for a few minutes and then do this again.

Older Mackie mixers are very well-made, with good quality parts. But once they need servicing, they are not worth anything. My old 1202 is real noisy. I wanted to trade it in on a newer mixer. The salesguy took it to the repair department to find out how much it would cost to clean it up. The cost would have been more than they could sell it for. They asked to take it home - get it out of the store. I bought the new mixer, and I loan the old Mackie to my students, as I said earlier.

I'll say it again. Mackie mixers are great, but don't buy someone else' problem.

If we were neighbours, I'd give you mine.

I got a used 14 channel Mackie board when I was putting together a PA for my old band. We split before I finished buying up components but I paid around $200 for it at a Mom n Pop store.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

I like the idea of the used Mackie if I can get a nice one that is working for a reasonable price