Thread: Footswitch and Looper problems

Footswitch and Looper problems

Hey guys, been a while. I know, it's been crazy on the homefront! Everything is good, just super busy.

But, I'm back. With another question! Hopefully this is in the right area of the forum.

I've picked up a few new things in the last few months, most pedals. I bought a looper, and have since gone away with distortion pedals and am using the onboard distortion in my half stack. I included the footswitch for the amp back into the pedal setup so I can switch between clean and dirty while using my pedals still.

My current setup is... going in through the tuner pedal through the other pedals, into the looper and then out to the amp. My footswitch is connected on its own to is designated inputs on the back of my amps head.

Everything plays fine, I can switch through clean and dirty and have full use of my pedals on either channel. The problem is this... I record a loop using the distortion channel, and then when I use the footswitch to change to the clean channel while its looping distorted, it switches the running distorted loop to clean.

What am I doing wrong? Picture of the pedalboard below.
    “If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.” - Joe Rogan

https://soundcloud.com/son-explosif

doing some research has brought to me a similar problem someone has had with another brand of looper.

"Question
    I have a two-channel amp which allows me to switch between clean and and overdrive sounds. When I place the Ditto Looper in front of the amp and record a loop, the sound of the loop changes when I switch channels. Why is this happening?

Answer
    This happens because the looper is placed before the amp, and because you are not using any overdrive/distortion pedals to change between your clean and dirty sounds BEFORE the Ditto, the overdrive sounds are of course placed after the Ditto in the signal chain.

What this means is that your guitar sound is clean when it passes through the Ditto Looper and does not get distorted until it hits the amp. This would explain why the recorded loops change sound when you change to your lead sound - the looper has recorded a clean sounding guitar which is then sent to the amp where it gets distorted."

This makes sense, obviously. BUT, how can I work around this? Can I even work around it? My amp has an effects loop, would that be of any help to me?
    “If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.” - Joe Rogan

Here's the back of my looper...

And here's the front of my amp, with the effects loop.

Can I go from the last pedal in the chain to the send, then use the return to get back to the looper? Or some configuration of that idea?

I've never used a looper, so I can't really help--but did want to comment that I like the board--I have one of the same pedals, an earlier version of another--and there's one I'd like to have--so cool board.

And I hope someone else can help you...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I've never used a looper, so I can't really help--but did want to comment that I like the board--I have one of the same pedals, an earlier version of another--and there's one I'd like to have--so cool board.

And I hope someone else can help you...
    Thanks! I built the board myself, combined two different boards I've built as I've acquired more pedals. Turned out great! I had a Visual Sound Son of Hyde pedal on there as my distortion, but the stomp button broke! I bought it used, so I'm not sure what I'll be able to do. However, that caused me to revisit my amps on board distortion, and I totally forgot how much I loved it! Hopefully I can get back to using it in conjunction with the looper, because going through my amp has really made my other pedals sound MUCH better.

Hs, it sounds like you want to be able to record a distortion rhythm, and then solo over it with a clean sound, and I'm guessing sometimes you will want to do the opposite. Is this correct?

You could put your looper in the amp's FX loop (this term has become the new tremolo/vibrato in my opinion), and that way your entire sound will be going into the looper (including amp distortion), but then everything coming out of the looper will be affected.

I was doing something similar a couple years ago, but I was using two amps. I had some elaborate cabling and switching going on, but I can't remember what I did. (Depending on which amp of mine I am using, I also use the amp's channel switching as part of my sounds.)

So no, I don't think you can get what you want without using two amps.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Hs, it sounds like you want to be able to record a distortion rhythm, and then solo over it with a clean sound, and I'm guessing sometimes you will want to do the opposite. Is this correct?

You could put your looper in the amp's FX loop (this term has become the new tremolo/vibrato in my opinion), and that way your entire sound will be going into the looper (including amp distortion), but then everything coming out of the looper will be affected.

I was doing something similar a couple years ago, but I was using two amps. I had some elaborate cabling and switching going on, but I can't remember what I did. (Depending on which amp of mine I am using, I also use the amp's channel switching as part of my sounds.)

So no, I don't think you can get what you want without using two amps.
    Yep, thats what I was looking to do. I was doing it was my Visual Sound distortion pedal previously. I know that because the pedal was before the looper, but if theres not way to get the amp to be in front of the looper, then yea, I probably won't be able to make it work.

I'll probably end up trying things to no avail, because I can't help but think theres a way to do! Stubborn, I guess.

Keep experimenting!

Maybe you won't get what you wanted, and maybe you will find something even cooler!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

For sure! I actually spoke with Visual Sound (now Truetone) and all V2 pedals carry a lifetime warranty. And ever though I wasn't the original owner of the pedal, they're still going to fix it free of charge.

So I'll get back to using that as my main distortion channel, but I'll definitely keep experimenting with it!