Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some new pedals

Some new pedals

I have acquired a few small pieces of gear lately, mostly pedals. This journey was mostly started by two things. One was getting a Zoom MS-100BT a year or so ago. This mini multi-effect has models of many of the pedals I got interested in.
    The other was watching That Pedal Show on Youtube for the past year.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnU...tuTs10w/videos

I am happy with all of these purchases; and I do not plan on selling any of them anytime soon. I like to swap pedals around at home. I consider pedals to be like spices in the kitchen. I also bring a second pedal board to gigs and leave it in the car. The second pedal board has all I really need to get the job done - a couple overdrives, distortion, chorus and delay.

Here is my main pedal board...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedal board Nov 2016.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	3840  
    Last edited by doublewah; 11-18-2016 at 01:49 AM.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

The pedal-case is a poker chip case that I bought a few years ago, and gave the poker chips to a friend. It's kind of beat up, so I am looking for a replacement, but it's hard to find one of the same size. It is small enough to fit into a large suitcase for flying gigs. (I used to fly a couple times a month for gigs. Not much lately. Haha)

I use right-angle guitar plug-jacks to give myself room for another pedal in the box.
    Last edited by doublewah; 11-18-2016 at 01:47 AM.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

The Zoom MS-100BT comes with 100 built-in models of pedals and amps. It has Bluetooth, and you can buy (for a couple bucks) newer and more detailed models of pedals and amps and upload them, although this only works with Apple devices. Many of the built-in effects are quite usable. I have bought a few of the choruses, but I find its built-in Vintage Chorus is closer to sounding like my 80s BOSS CE-2 (and uses less of the unit's processing power).

One of the great things about the MS-100BT is that all these pedals in one little box. One of the not-so-great things about the MS-100BT is that all those pedals are in one little box, with only one foot-switch. I can bring this one pedal to a gig or jam and get most of the sounds I need, but I have to bend over from time to time to press little buttons to access the other pedals or patches so I can switch them on or off.

So after getting an idea of what some of the modelled pedals would sound like, I started to collect some of my favourites.

Some of my new pedals are made by a Chinese company called Joyo. I get them from Amazon.ca for $35-$45 CAN and they arrive in less than a week.

As I mentioned, I have a BOSS CE-2 that a friend of mine sold to me recently. (I never should have sold the one I had in the 90s.)

And a DOD FX65.

So I bought Joyo's CE-2 clone, the Analog Chorus.

The Joyo chorus is in my B9 organ pedal box, and the other two are too big to fit in my regular pedal-board, so I was using the Zoom's Vintage Chorus, but it required me bending over to choose between switching on or off the delay or chorus. So I found a smaller chorus pedal, the Rowin chorus.

When I got the new chorus pedal, I set up all my chorus pedals and compared them. The older-styled ones (CE-2, FX65 and Joyo) all have a mid boost and kind of smoosh the sound together. The newer-styled Rowin seems to have more clarity in the top end, and each note rings out separately. I like both sounds for different songs, so I may still use the Zoom's chorus occasionally. (The Zoom does have several other choruses, but the Vintage Chorus is the one I found closest to the CE-2 in a test I performed months ago.)

A couple of days after I did my chorus tests, That Pedal Show did their own chorus comparison, and even confirmed what I had found about old and new styled chorus pedals.
    (They have followed my footsteps a few times lately, like when they did their first slide guitar episode, a couple days after I got die Bullen's lap steel, and had been trying various tunings on a beat-up old acoustic with high action. And until now, I never played much slide, unless it was required for a band gig. So yeah - they are stalking me. )
    Last edited by doublewah; 11-18-2016 at 01:52 AM.

Dynamic Drive is Zoom's model of Fulltone's OCD drive.

I liked it enough to order a Joyo Ultimate Drive (their clone of the OCD). It is not on my pedal-board at the moment.

TS Drive is Zoom's model of Ibanez' Tube Screamer. I have had one or two of these over the years, but sold them because I didn't understand their correct purpose or value. That purpose is basically to push an already driven amplifier further over the edge, but it works well, doing the same thing, before a distortion pedal. (Since my days of playing big amps really loud are long gone, I wasn't in a position to experience a Tube Screamer doing the job it was intended to do.)

I have a couple BOSS SD-1's, which I have heard are BOSS' copy of the Tube Screamer, and this is how I have used them (driving distortion pedals, or the gain channel of an amp) the past 20 years or so.

So I got a Joyo Tube Screamer clone, the Vintage Overdrive.
    Last edited by doublewah; 11-18-2016 at 01:46 AM.

Sweet Drive is Zoom's model of Mad Professor's Sweet Honey Overdrive. I really like the Zoom model, so I got the Joyo clone, the Sweet Baby Overdrive. It replaced my BOSS Blues Driver on my board, and I much prefer it's sound. It is now on my second pedal board.
    Last edited by doublewah; 11-18-2016 at 01:53 AM.

RC Boost is Zoom's model of Xotic's RC Booster.

After doing some research, I ended up getting a Chinese/ebay clone of Xotic's EP Booster. I liked it, and used it frequently, and then someone local was selling a real one for $100, so I got that one as well. The EP Booster is a copy of the preamp circuitry of the preamp from an Echoplex 3. This particular Echoplex was in high demand with musicians such as Eddie Van Halen, who left it on, just to warm up their amps. It has a couple of internal switches to change how it behaves, but basically, it adds a very nice mid bump. I don't use it much on humbuckers, but it gives a strat a more Gibson tone. So with single-coils and this pedal, I have even more tones available.

CentaGold is Zoom's model of the legendary Klon Centaur.

I had never heard of this pedal until this past year. I really liked the Zoom model, so I looked for an affordable clone. (Used Klon Centuars go for $2000 plus. It is not in production.) It appears as though Joyo does not make one, so I bought the Tone City Bad Horse.

I liked what it had to offer, and then I got the Wampler Tumnus, which is one of the best Klon Clone's around, and is also very quiet. It works really well with my other pedals.
    Last edited by doublewah; 11-18-2016 at 01:54 AM.

Red Crunch is Zoom's model of MI Effects' Super Crunch Box, which is made in Australia.

JHS in the U.S. makes a clone called the Angry Charlie. That Pedal Show often include this pedal in their lineups, and always rave about it.

I bought Joyo's clone of the MI pedal, the Deluxe Crunch, and a week later someone put an Angry Charlie on kijiji. I got the Angry Charlie for less than half what a new one would cost me. I am really happy with both pedals, and the Angry Charlie is on my main board.