Page 51 of 235 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Axe Thread

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Welcome to the friendliest forum in the land, TV.

You make some nice guitars. Care to share your inspiration for the headstock on your double-cutaway?
    (See our thread on "Inline 6's".)

This place is getting a lot more interesting of late!
    Thanks to Spell and ZT and Bruce for inviting or attracting the recent members.
    thanks Doublewah! As I mentioned in the last post, TK Smith fashions much of his creations from the inspiration of PA Bigsby.. Its now documented with the help of Deke Dickerson that both Leo Fender and Les Paul stole the original guitar designs by PA Bigsby as they were both friends of his and they themselves were taken by his approach. The rest is history and we see what its done to the guitar world.. that said many of use really really LOVE what Bigsby made and right now TK Smith is pretty much bringing this stuff back with accuracy and faithful to american made noir.

I must point out, I did not build the neck or the body.. Both Tk Smith and Marc Rutters are the craftsmen that make these amazing guitar parts.. I just put it all together and enjoy guitars that do not exist in the production market and so grateful to have them because stuff from the custom shop that gibson, fender or gretsch puts out is far far too expensive and yet is no where near as custom built from highest quality raw material,, Not that they cant they just dont operate like these small niche builders that create more out of passionand drive than for the dollar. Granted its not cheap at all but for what you end up owning, its far beyond the word "custom" that has become synonymous as marketing for upper echelon production by a manufacturer. Guys like TK Smith are using vintage american machinery and local raw resources to build from scratch, its mind melting to see this stuff come to life from start to finish. The feel of the neck on this double cut is so fantastic, like nothing I've ever encountered before and it works so well in my hands.

Yeah, we need a Like button.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    and an envy/desire button.

Those guys do some
    truly stunning craftsman ship, TV.
    & Thank You for all the info,
    I feed off of it.

& Welcome to Axetalk!
    "The problem with the internet (and e-mails) is you cannot hear someones voice, see them smile, nor notice a tongue planted firmly in cheek" - Andy Fuchs

I hope You guys don't mind too much but here is the Flicker page for TK Smith.
    Please don't hate me too much for the GAS you are going to get from these images.
    Here are a couple from the page.

You can tell alot about a maker's work by their table.
    I, for instance am a chaotic slob.
    These guys, well...
    "The problem with the internet (and e-mails) is you cannot hear someones voice, see them smile, nor notice a tongue planted firmly in cheek" - Andy Fuchs

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post

Testing.....testing......

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Sorry, the inlaid pickgaurdwork has Me almost tearing up....

And the pickups...

speechless.

And then there is this piece of pure genius.

a word I rarely use.

One of the great things about having new members is the influx of new ideas.

Welcome to AxeTalk, TV. Just lovin' the red Tele doublecut. Is that a ferrule bar that I'm seeing in the back? If so, it's the only one I've seen on another member's guitar. I'd be interested in your reaction to how well they work.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

this guitar you posted, was one I just sold. This had TK Smiths CC-esque neck pickup and a peter florance broadcaster bridge pickup. One note about marc Rutters paint ability; I loved the metallic grey blue paint job on my moms Hyundai and he was able to match it on the 62' double bound sugarpine body.

also this pickup picture you posted

was built for my gretsch spectrasonic that TK did up with more bigsby style motiff

Quote Originally Posted by TV THE WIRED TURTLE View Post
    ...One note about marc Rutters paint ability; I loved the metallic grey blue paint job on my moms Hyundai...
    I love that thought.
    "Hey TK - Come out to the driveway and check out my mom's car. Yep. THAT'S what I want my new guitar to look like!"

And he obliges.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.