Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shock Hazards Associated with Electric Guitars and Amps

These days most people seem to be using gig bags rather than cases.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

with my archtops that would be a very bad idea!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    with my archtops that would be a very bad idea!
    Yeah, not a good plan. I don't have much faith in gigbags, and when I hear about guys putting angled headstock guitars in them, I just cringe.

To be fair about it, there might be some that would be okay, if you spend lots......I remember posting a video a few years back that showed a company throwing a Les Paul in one of their gigbags and throwing it off the roof of their factory. It survived, but I don't think most bags offer enough protection to make me comfortable.

Heck, I wouldn't try even try it with one of Leo's guitars, and everybody knows a Fender's got nine lives........
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Nothing says vintage gear like a good ol' ground shock. Lol. Stocker guys are just funny to me. My Super Reverb has every upgradeable part possible & it's performance show's that. The biggest eye opener was after it was rebuilt we ran it through the original beat up cab with the rebuilt CTS speaker's 1st & we played it that way for a while & it sounded great to me. All I would ask. At that point I was questioning why I spent all that money on those brand new Blue Frame Jensen's then we plugged them in & the definition improvement to the note spectrum was so noticeable it was jaw dropping. Flipped back to those CTS again & it sounded dead. My amp was tested running for hours of being on & not a whisper of unwanted noise. Dead quite. Meanwhile the stocker guys would put up with all these crazy background noises & refer to it as character just to say that there amp is bone stock & apparently worth more because of it. I totally get Museum pieces. I wouldn't molest some pre CBS Strat because of the CRAZY collecter value. But if I can improve my main gear in anyway I will do it because I want to sound good as well as be shock free.
    Last edited by Keletcaster; 05-20-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    Nothing says vintage gear like a good ol' ground shock. Lol. Stocker guys are just funny to me. My Super Reverb has every upgradeable part possible & it's performance show's that. The biggest eye opener was after it was rebuilt we ran it through the original beat up cab with the rebuilt CTS speaker's 1st & we played it that way for a while & it sounded great to me. All I would ask. At that point I was questioning why I spent all that money on those brand new Blue Frame Jensen's then we plugged them in & the definition improvement to the note spectrum was so noticeable it was jaw dropping. Flipped back to those CTS again & it sounded dead. My amp was tested running for hours of being on & not a whisper of unwanted noise. Dead quite. Meanwhile the stocker guys would put up with all these crazy background noises & refer to it as character just to say that there amp is bone stock & apparently worth more because of it. I totally get Museum pieces. I wouldn't molest some pre CBS Strat because of the CRAZY collecter value. But if I can improve my main gear in anyway I will do it because I want to sound good as well as be shock free.
    Makes sense to me--and then if you get famous it won't matter--because the gear will be associated with you...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    These days most people seem to be using gig bags rather than cases.
    Hmm--a gig bag with a built in amp?
    Probably not
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Something my former amp guru told me over and over was how much benefit there was in doing lead redress. A lot of old Fenders tend to be on the noisy side just because of the human factor in 60's amp assembly. I was astounded when my 70 Twin Reverb came back from a service at vivaAnalog sounding so much quieter. If I was taking an older amp to a tech for a power cord upgrade, I'd spend some extra dough to have him tidy up the chassis wiring at the same time.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I've also heard some older amps have materials we now consider toxic andor carcinogenic...
    Maybe not enough to be real damage--but kind of scary--I forget where I read that--but I think it was a book about vintage amps...

Anybody else ever hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Hmm--a gig bag with a built in amp?
    Probably not
    Yeah, that was my point. I don't think we're going to see any manufacturer develop great amps in cases these days, BECAUSE many of the new players are using gig bags. And as you said...
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Not a fan of most gig bags--and the ones that do offer real good protection cost way more than a case--but hey--it's your gear--you decide...