Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shock Hazards Associated with Electric Guitars and Amps

Shock Hazards Associated with Electric Guitars and Amps

Good info here--I've heard this all before--but good to have a reminder--and if anybody here hasn't heard this.
    I normally wear shoes with rubber soles when I plug in--especially in a basement--I've plugged in wearing socks or bare feet on a dry concrete floor & felt a tingling, not much & not enough to hurt--but it's a good warning--so I will wear footwear--just in case
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

The old Ampeg v4 I used to have had some sort of issue and didn't have a grounded plug so if the polarity switch was set wrong, you'd get a good shock when you touched the strings. I got it fixed and had a grounded plug put on but when I was a teenager with no money and no sense I dealt with it for years.

In the eighties, I used an Acoustic 360 preamp into my Bassman 135. The Fender was three-wire, but the Acoustic was old enough that it was two-wire non-polarized, and it would get pretty exciting if I happened to plug it in backwards. I'd generally pickup my EB3 by the top horn of the body and gingerly touch the strings to my mike. If it made lightning when it touched, I had to replug the Acoustic the other way.

It's a wonder there weren't more accidents....so many old stages had only two AC outlets, two-wire of course, and the whole band and PA would all be plugged in multi-extension cords.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

My first two amps were two prong plugs--one of the reasons I don't often sue them--and I am considering a three prong conversion &/or selling them (With the advice to do a three prong conversion or at least a test as in the video)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    My first two amps were two prong plugs--one of the reasons I don't often sue them--and I am considering a three prong conversion &/or selling them (With the advice to do a three prong conversion or at least a test as in the video)
    sue them??? (just kidding, although when I first read it I thought you were talking about the manufacturer!)

I've had all my amps converted to a grounded plug. The V-4 was particularly ridiculous because of how powerful the thing is. Those weren't little shocks you got- they would practically put your arm to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    sue them??? (just kidding, although when I first read it I thought you were talking about the manufacturer!)

I've had all my amps converted to a grounded plug. The V-4 was particularly ridiculous because of how powerful the thing is. Those weren't little shocks you got- they would practically put your arm to sleep.
    Well use/sue--whatever it takes...

Sue the amp itself- I'd love to see an old Fender Twin dragged into court

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Sue the amp itself- I'd love to see an old Fender Twin dragged into court
    Well if I could drag one in--although I could probably handle a Deluxe...

When I had my old Super reverb rebuilt the guy said that legally he had to change to three prong plugs if he worked on them. I got a horrible shock in the lips one time when my super was plugged the opposite way to the PA. Leaned in to add some vocals & ssssnaaaappp!!!. Ouch!
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I don't know if such a law exists here but not such a bad idea!