Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DI box

Axellent Member

DI box

Hey all, I have not had much experience with electric guitars, and I was given a box with a bunch of electronics in it. Among this stuff we're 3 DI boxes. 2 are Radial Pro DI's. The other is a Whirlwind IMP 2. All 3 are brand new in the package.
    My questions are what do these boxes do. I read enough to know that they have preamps in them, but is that the only purpose for them.
    Any information would be appreciated, including value if any.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A DI box is designed to provide a line-level signal so you can connect a guitar to a PA, mixing board, or other types of processor. I can't tell you much as far as brand names, but I do recall on online discussion some years ago where the Whirlwind was mentioned by several people as a good bang for the buck.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Some of them can colour your sound (Some allow you to do that on purpose)

Spell is correct on the purpose--if you have need that way, see how they work with your gear.
    If you don't have use for any or all of hem--then sell, trade or give them away.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I tend to look at direct boxes as a good backup plan. If you're gigging and your amp pooches itself halfway through the evening, you can plug the output of your guitar, or pedalboard, into a direct box and the PA system to finish the night. It's a lot smaller to pack around than a spare amplifier.

I was using one when I play in church--going into the board--and then also having an out into a small amp I sued as my on monitor--especially if I was playign fretless bass--if I am playign a fretted bass or guitar--then I still want to hear myself--but it's not as important--when it's fretless I need to hear it.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I bought a DOD 285 when I started playing again about 12 years ago. One of the things I like about it, and I think it's an uncommon feature, is the cabinet emulation. It's designed to be set for Flat, Combo, or 4X12 Stack, which gives the player some flexibility in setting his sound before it gets to a mixing board or PA. I have a couple of other pieces...a Weber Z-Matcher and a Weber Headphone Tap...that also have direct box capability tapped from speaker output. I've never had occasion to use any of them, but either of Weber units would be great if I wanted to use an on-stage amp as a monitor, plus feed a PA system.

My Fender Rumble 40 has an XLR out you can plug into a PA--and still hear the amp--so it is like a DI box with a speaker...

DI boxes are more often used by acoustic guitar players and bass players than by electric players.
    They enable an acoustic guitar player to go direct to the PA, or a bass player to split his signal so he can go to his amp and the PA at the same time.

I am not familiar with Whirlwind as a DI maker, although I know they were making top of the line guitar cables in the 70s. I still have one.
    Radial are one of the top DI makers, as far as I know.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    or a bass player to split his signal so he can go to his amp and the PA at the same time.
    that's what I did pre-Rumble amp

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    that's what I did pre-Rumble amp
    I just noticed for the first time that my Rumble 150 head has a balanced line output plus a selectable ground lift. Kind of a cool feature.....Too bad they don't offer it on more amps.