Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parting it out

Parting it out

By the time we've assembled a few guitars, most of us have learned that partscasters are tough to sell and getting all of your investment back is a myth. The common wisdom seems to be that you'll get the most money back by parting it out. Has anybody done this or at least considered it?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

If it was a partscaster--hey why not--if it's not--hmm--I have some mixed feelings there...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'd also be inclined to think that individual parts would fetch a higher price.

Thing is, when you build a partscaster, you are filling it with options to your own spec- you build it the way YOU want it. Will the next guy want it that way or would he be happier to know his guitar is 100% Fender? Does he actually care that you put 20 man hours into it- likely not...

I also doubt that many partscasters ultimately cost less than real brand name guitars- let's face it, you can have a new Squier for $100.

Lastly we tend to think that because we put $300 of parts into a guitar, it is now worth $300+. Just like a car, used parts depreciate so that $300 in parts would be worth more like $150 in a few months.

People who worry about resale value should invest in stuff that has a pedigree. Like a custom shop fender or Gibson. The lure of a partscaster is building something like those without being dinged so heavily for the name on the headstock. I almost find it to be bragger's tax. I totally understand that project guitars sometimes with time loose there luster & have torn down many of my own to build them a different way. If it's recouping cost you are after then a lot of times parting it out is the best option. I got into building guitars because I wanted all these vintage guitars but I am not a rich man so I basically collect vintage & custom tone vessels. I have an arsenal of every tone & feel I could ever want I just didn't have to remortgage my home to get it. So in short part it out if you have to or rebuild it.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Yeah I can think of a lot of better investments than partscasters...

I can too buddy. Just not funner ones.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

very true...

From an economic stand point, it's much easier to re-coup costs by parting out a parts caster. It can also be extremely profitable to part out certain production models. I know of a gentleman who buys guitars off ebay or CL and parts them out. He doesn't keep anything whole. EVERYTHING gets parted, regardless of what it is. He's making enough money doing it that it is now all he does, and is his primary source of income. Many view it as sacrilegious.. until you need that one original part that he has... then it's okay

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    From an economic stand point, it's much easier to re-coup costs by parting out a parts caster. It can also be extremely profitable to part out certain production models. I know of a gentleman who buys guitars off ebay or CL and parts them out. He doesn't keep anything whole. EVERYTHING gets parted, regardless of what it is. He's making enough money doing it that it is now all he does, and is his primary source of income. Many view it as sacrilegious.. until you need that one original part that he has... then it's okay
    That kind of thing bugs me when someone wants the original model & can't find one because it's ben parted out--I understand the economics of it.
    I've never been that guy though--because the guitars I would be interested in of that sort are well beyond my budget.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    People who worry about resale value should invest in stuff that has a pedigree.
    I've never been one to care about resale value--I'm not buying gear to resell or trade (If you care about resale or like flipping gear or something along thsoe lines--no disrespect intended--that's your thing--& that's ok--it's not my thing)
    I buy gear to play it.