Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partscaster

Axellent Member

Partscaster

I put this together from parts I accumulated from eBay. Love the looks, how it plays, tone, everything about it I love, with one small exception. I've had a real battle getting the intonation right. I just figured out why. I made a stupid mistake. I put a 21 fret neck on a body built originally with a 22 fret neck. Anyone else done something like that, or am I alone in my stupidity.lol.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Axellent Member
    Sorry, I keep forgetting to post my pics.

No, you're not alone. I was building a 24" scale thinline and misplaced the bridge. By the time I discovered it was an issue, I'd drilled string-through holes and routed in a Taipan Tonebar, so there was no changing it. I ended up using the 1965 22.5" scale Musicmaster neck that I had on my CV Duosonic, and thankfully, there was enough saddle travel that I could intonate a 1971 24" scale Musicmaster neck on the CV. Stuff like that happens.

Want to hear real dumb? I decided to try and buy a shorter scale neck for the thinline (before I robbed another guitar), so I bought a Squier Affinity Duosonic that was a 22.7" scale....an absolute POS, but I was happy to have found a short-scale neck for 100.00. I got home from buying it, and stared at it for a few minutes before I realized it had a headstock adjusting trussrod, and I needed a heel-adjust truss rod on the thinline because I was using the truss rod as the antenna for the wireless system. So, the Affinity Duosonic was useless to me. Doh!

I could go on, lol, but you get the idea. I make every mistake at least once before I learn.......
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Keep in mind that with the different number of frets the neck will join differently--technically you could use a different scale as well--but you may need to adjust the neck pocket--although it would certainly be easier to have a neck that already matches...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Look at the bright side- you will never make that mistake again!

All the strat's that I've worked on with a 22 fret neck had the same neck pocket and neck heel as a 21 fret. The 22nd fret was simply the fingerboard overhanging the neck heel...
    That should not be causing intonation issues, as the scale length from nut to bridge is still the same.

That's a really good point, Mike.

What's the intonation issue, Ricklt? It's hard to tell from the picture, but are you running out of saddle travel? Which strings don't intonate?

Yep what Mike said is bang on. Which way are you running out of travel. Start with all your saddle's a all the way back then you just have to loosen them to move forward. If are all the way back & it's still sharp then you have to shim the back of the neck heal to move the neck forward. If you are almost there it should not take a lot. Most of the time a piece of an old credit card Will be enough. I worked on a Squire Strat once that had that neck you are using that had a big shim right from the factory that was a piece of plastic that was easily twice as thick as an average credit card.
    Last edited by Keletcaster; 05-16-2017 at 07:10 PM.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Axellent Member
    Can get all but the low E. I need the saddle to move closer to the tail. Did not think about shimming the neck. That will probably solve my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ricklt View Post
    Can get all but the low E. I need the saddle to move closer to the tail. Did not think about shimming the neck. That will probably solve my problem...........
    If you only need a little bit more travel, you could remove the spring to get the saddle a bit further back.