Thread: A Dream Came True! My First US-Fender!!

A Dream Came True! My First US-Fender!!

A lot of you may have read about this here!

http://www.axetalk.com/forum/electri...g-trigger.html

It's always been a dream of mine to have a US-Fender. Whatever it is. I've always been able to afford MiM's, Squiers and even assembled partscasters. And I had a surprising opportunity to play and be able to have one of these!

My new American Professional Telecaster!

Now here's my thoughts: This thing is lightweight. 2pc alder body with nice grains. I've always loved straight grain pattern lines. And It almost weighs as little as my thinline partscaster but only a little bit more being a solid body. Its balanced well and doesnt neck dive. Which is great!

Another thing I noticed though was. Its not that much of a step up from the Baja I used to own. I know that Baja and other classic models are the top MiM's, but it feels like the Baja is just as good as this, quality-wise and sound-wise. Different feel for sure. But my Baja was a boat anchor.

Dont get me wrong this one feels solid and really well built and I can really feel that american quality, it feels like its built with quality in mind. Slightly rolled edges, fret work, fit and finish. All great! But if you're coming from a MiM Std, then the AmPro is really a few steps ahead of the game. Lighter, better looking, quality wood. One of the good ones I've ever tried.

The neck is really nice. Not that much of a difference from a modern C. It starts slim and then kind of gets fuller, but not that much. There is meat, but if you're looking for that big ole porterhouse steak meat, it is not. I like it anyway. Better than nothing. I would love to have the Baja thickness though. I also wanted a rosewood board because i really love the 60's look and have plans on changing the brass ones to steel threaded saddles, but the ones I tried were kind of meh. It doesnt feel as alive or whatever. It didnt speak to me. So. But This one sang. I guess I have another reason to get a 60's tele with double binding. Haha. Maple is great though. Snap and twang all day.

The hardware feels nice. Bridge and saddles gives off that tele twang. Not sure about the string angle. It feels like it's a 90deg break angle. Not sure how that will translate to intonation, playability or something. I dont have the knowledge to assess that yet. What do you think?

Treble bleed is nice to have. Pickups have great tone and voicing and very responsive. I dont usually like the neck pickup. 99.9% of the time I want to pull out the neck pickup in my tele's as Im not on it anyway but this one is okay. Maybe a little bit of height adjustment, I'm gonna get there. Though I dont have a basis, a song or a tone in my head to replicate what a good tele neck pickup should sound like. Any suggestions/ideas?

Took off that super light strings that feels as spaghetti-like as the Fender logo, and changed it with 11's. Better. Feels like its going to fight me. It better should.

No adjustments whatsover. Neck is straight, no buzz, intonation is spot on with 11's, checked string action, and the saddle radius. Great, no need to turn a screw or anything. Nice set up! Its actually weird not to do any set up on a new guitar. Well, maybe in a few days i'll mess with it when it's all settled.

Only a few gripes. The neck is sooo pale white. I want to put shoe polish on it so badly but what heck, its new, its my first us-fender, I'll just play with it and hope it turns vintage amber. Feels nice, but it looks okay, I can live with it, but I really want that tint the Classic Vibe has.

And I really hate these modern staggered tuners. I have acquired a technique from a friend of mine on how to string with a vintage tuner, cutting lengths and all. It doesnt work with the modern tuners. And I have less tuner pole heights to turn around on. I have pricked my fingers thrice as i was re-stringing. These modern tuners will have to go asap.

So there. I hope you enjoyed reading on my thoughts about the guitar. Its lovely, with an awesome feel and tone. Its definitely a great guitar to play straight as stock. Really well built and thought of.

Last edited by itsallintheblues; 05-16-2017 at 02:40 AM.

That is AWESOME!! My first MIA was a Highway One Strat which I would put on the same level as a MIM Standard. Was not what one would think a MIA should be. I got an Am. Standard now and I realize what an American Fender truly is. Enjoy that Tele!!
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

Congrats Blues!

Quote Originally Posted by etechstan View Post
    That is AWESOME!! My first MIA was a Highway One Strat which I would put on the same level as a MIM Standard. Was not what one would think a MIA should be. I got an Am. Standard now and I realize what an American Fender truly is. Enjoy that Tele!!
    Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Congrats Blues!
    Thank you guys! It's a really special guitar! I love it! except the modern tuners! but I can live with it. LOL

Happy New Guitar Day, IAITB! Hope you enjoy it.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

For those wondering about the mini-skirt included with the guitar, here it is. I tried putting it on, but it's so hard to push it and make it fit. I don't want to damage or scratch the finish on the guitar, and if I ever made it, Im afraid I wont be able to take it off. I dont see it helping me with my playing though. Id still prefer the whole ashtray bridge cover over this one, but I dont know if it will fit these modern bridges.

It looks okay with or without it. but there's nothing that pokes out of the saddles, so in the guitar case it will go.

Leave it off--looks better...

Enjoy!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.