Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you capo?

How often do you capo?

I was digging out a capo the other day to hold the strings in place while I did other work, and it occurred to me that I rarely use one anymore when I play. Do you find it something you'd use on a regular basis?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I never capo for performing. I do capo at home rarely, on two occasions that I can recall.

Once I was learning a song that had been written with a capo, and I wanted to perform it without a capo, and in a different key. (It might have been tuned to Eb as well, but I can't remember.) It was a singer-songwriter tune. One guitar and one voice.
    I used two guitars to learn the song - one tuned up and capo-ed like the one on the recording, and one tuned to standard. I played a bit on one guitar and then the next, to find chord forms that sounded like the original one.

Also, whenever I have not played the ukulele for a while, I sometimes put a capo on a guitar at the 5th fret and play it like that for a while. When I play an ukulele, I like to imagine that someone has cut off the first five frets (and the bass-strings part of the neck). It's the best way for my guitar-playing brain to cope with it.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I've only ever played twice in my life with a capo where it was a last minute thing where I was playign with others & they knew the song in one key & I knew it in another--and it wasn't a song that was easy to transpose in my head--some songs are easy for me to do that--some aren't.

Other than that they mess me up--changes the feel of the guitar for me.

I find most guitar players I know use them to avoid playing barre chords--I can play them & am okay with that--but then someone goes & uses a capo & a different chord names--and messes me up when I can play it properly--

Now I know there are many good uses for them--open tunings, different voices, different timbres with open strings and other similar ideas--as well as otehr things not on my list.

I've never owned one.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I dont like using Capo's.. but whenever the song needs it, I use it. but it's like once in every six months.. I do use it for set up purposes, other than that, it remains in my case

I never use a capo. Our band plays songs in literally almost every key imaginable with numerous key changes in quite a few songs. Using a capo would simply be a disruption for me- better to simply learn to use all barre chords.

Our worship leader isn't a musician and doesn't have a real gasp on keys so I have to capo quite often.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

I few years ago I played in an Eagles tribute band. We had a double-neck Gibson (which was stolen and replaced by an Epiphone).
    I capoed that guitar at the 7th fret for Hotel California.

Forgot about that one. ^
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by etechstan View Post
    Our worship leader isn't a musician and doesn't have a real gasp on keys so I have to capo quite often.
    Ours uses one--but he hates barre chords--although he has switched keys as he ages (He's not old yet)--so now most songs are in guitar friendly keys.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

How could you hate barre chords? They simplify everything!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    How could you hate barre chords? They simplify everything!
    Well I don't hate them & I use them.
    When I taught I made sure to position the positives of learning them--even if they were tricky at first.