Thread: Could this end up like Photobucket--but for guitars?

Could this end up like Photobucket--but for guitars?

I don't know that I will name the site--but I came across one where you can "register" your guitars to keep track of them--and also possibly sell them or track them if stolen.
    Seems like a good idea on one hand--but with free & paid options--I wonder how well that would work.
    And is he info secure.
    It is based in Europe--but being that may not be an issue.
    Free option includes ads

FREE

$0
    Unlimited Gear
    0$ for all your guitars
    1 picture per gear
    1 picture per event
    No "MISSING" alert
    No "For Sales" listing
    Transferable
    choose if one guitar goes premium

PREMIUM

$5
    Unlimited Gear
    5$ = 1 guitar
    No limit picture per gear
    10 picture per event
    "MISSING" alert enable
    "For Sales" enable
    Transferable
    Once premium = always premium

or a multi guitar paid option--maybe if you travelled a lot gigging?

I just get a bad vibe on this & can see a Photobucket thing happening later on.

I do have the info on my gear in a drive & backed up as well--and hard copies I keep somewhere secure away from home--I don't know that I want it on the cloud.
    Although I do have pictures out there--but if photobucket ends--overall--or just for me--I won't have them showing online--but I feel protected.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

This is an interesting idea, but I can understand some resistance to it because of Photobucket's latest maneuver. I'm sure I get a good vibe from this, but let me sleep on it, and by morning I might be better to articulate how I feel about it.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Sure--I don't plan on using it--but if it is a good thing & legit--it would be helpful for some...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'm sure I wouldn't use this service...

I can see pros and cons.

On one hand, it would be a way to maintain a list of gear, and under certain circumstances it would be beneficial to put the word out on a stolen instrument over a widespread area.

However, if these records are available to the general public, it might be a way you could be cased for a robbery by someone looking online.

I think I'd probably pass.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I think you wouldn't want your serial numbers out there. But you are right SC, if someone had access to all your gear and could trace it back to you and your address they could case you...

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I can see pros and cons.

On one hand, it would be a way to maintain a list of gear, and under certain circumstances it would be beneficial to put the word out on a stolen instrument over a widespread area.

However, if these records are available to the general public, it might be a way you could be cased for a robbery by someone looking online.

I think I'd probably pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I think you wouldn't want your serial numbers out there. But you are right SC, if someone had access to all your gear and could trace it back to you and your address they could case you...
    One of my concerns--and so I keep my stuff listed on a stick (& it's backed up)--and on hardcopies.

Plus on thing that gets me about storing stuff on the cloud--from a practical standpoint is that if the internet goes down you don't have access to it.
    But if you have copies on a stick or a device you have it.
    ant to see pictures, listen too music, etc?
    If the power is on and the wifi, or other internet is down--you can if it's on you devices or a stick, CD Rom, etc.

For streaming audio the lack of internet connectivity is a killer for me if the stuff is only in the cloud. I don't have a data plan so this would make all my files inaccessible in the car...

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    For streaming audio the lack of internet connectivity is a killer for me if the stuff is only in the cloud. I don't have a data plan so this would make all my files inaccessible in the car...
    Even if you have a data plan--depending on how much you stream via your phone--sans Wifi--you either may pay a lo for that data plan or you pay a lot because you go over.
    But some people have better plans than others.
    Apparently up here in Canada we pay quite a but more than you do --even for the most basic plans.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Apparently up here in Canada we pay quite a but more than you do --even for the most basic plans.
    Yeah DW mentioned that when I was up visiting him