Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar Stands for Gigs

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I had complained to Hercules some years back for a defective part that I needed to replace- they responded in turn by sending me a Hercules cheesecloth storage bag for the stand (????????)
    Well did it protect the stand?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

well, sort of

So I just notice that the title of this thread--Guitar Stands for Gigs--could be interpreted that there is a guitar that stands when it is on gigs...

There are a few self standing guitars...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I only used cheapies. whenever I take my guitar out for an event, I just put it back in the case instead of having it stand. its an accident waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    I only used cheapies. whenever I take my guitar out for an event, I just put it back in the case instead of having it stand. its an accident waiting to happen.
    That reminds me of when I was teaching--and we had a Christmas concert (Or series of concerts--the teachers were therefore several hours, but parents & kids only about 1 1/2-2 hours)
    At the end of each concert the kids who played all came back on stage and sang, "We Wish You a Merry Christmas"
    I played chords along with most of the students who played solo (I didn't play with the bands & some advanced students)
    So I would bring a stand & leave my guitar on he stand-so it was here already for each me I went up on stage.
    So the end of the first or second one comes and I had left my guitar on the stage--and one of the students knocks the stands--I am out in front watching this & horrified.
    Fortunately another student saw that & caught i.
    After that when I was done for that concert my guitar came to a backstage room & got put in the case.
    Did that for years.

I am very very careful with the stands. I really only put the guitar there right before we start or right after we're done for the same reason.

This summer we did an outdoor gig and after we stopped playing a little girl literally charged my stand because she was so excited to touch the guitar. You better believe that I had that thing in a case pronto.

It's a wonder in these days of high tech innovation that someone hasn't invented a guitar stand with a built-in gyro to make sure they stay upright.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    It's a wonder in these days of high tech innovation that someone hasn't invented a guitar stand with a built-in gyro to make sure they stay upright.
    That would be cool, but probably also expensive...

And every other person prefers one type over another as better for that.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    The real problem with stands is it only takes one cheap plastic part used in an inconspicuous place to break and the stand is inoperable or not secure. Although defending your guitar against little kids is an occupational hazard

I'm sure a gyro-stabilized guitar stand wouldn't be cheap, but you wouldn't buy one for a 200.00 Squier. I'm envisioning it being an investment for a guy who gigs a high-dollar vintage guitar or an expensive archtop or acoustic. People don't seem to object to spending big bucks for a high quality case, so I'd imagine spending serious dough on a high tech stand wouldn't be out of the question either. And, one would hope that an expensive accessory wouldn't have any cheap, breakable plastic parts, but would have a good warranty.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."