Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Demystifying the Jazzmaster Controls

Demystifying the Jazzmaster Controls

Probably won't ever own one--although I find them a good sounding guitar & I love the feel of them.

I remember explaining to a couple of kids who they actually work one time--I was in a store looking at electric guitars & these kids walk up & look at Jazzmasters & Jaguars--and have no idea why all the controls
    Part of it is like many other electrics that have 4 knobs together--but there is more --at least with the classic models...

Demystifying the Jazzmaster Controls
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Honestly I think that the confusing controls are one reason that the Jazzmaster never really caught on. I still like mine!

Once you know what they do--they aren't too bad.
    Some people get confused on my electrics with 4 controls all together.
    then there is the Jaguar

And after that some BC Rich guitars look like an airplane controlboard.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I use the rhythm circuit on mine- it offer different tonal options that can be appearling.

Thing is, the JM is really not a jazz guitar. When you see it being used for surf rock or grunge, it is unlikely that they are using the rhythm circuit

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I use the rhythm circuit on mine- it offer different tonal options that can be appearling.

Thing is, the JM is really not a jazz guitar. When you see it being used for surf rock or grunge, it is unlikely that they are using the rhythm circuit
    Well the pickups were designed to appeal to jazz players, but overall it didn't work.

There was a later jazz box that Fender briefly made--they were actually fairly nice guitars...

And the pickups are great but it still isn't really a jazz guitar in any way. Fender never had much success in creating guitars specifically for jazz.

The link you posted- I've never seen these guitars- I wonder if they are good?

Well I have seen one in person--and it was nice from my perspective, and that was about 3 years ago--so used, but well cared for.
    & does the name D'Aquisto mean anything to you?

Yes I am familiar with D'Aquisto. He was a student of D'Angelico. Both high end archtop builders

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Yes I am familiar with D'Aquisto. He was a student of D'Angelico. Both high end archtop builders
    Exactly!
    that was my point--I figured you had heard the name--well they involved him in the making of the Master Series archtops.

Yeah I noticed that- he designed it and Fender made them in the factory. I really wonder if they are good- we have to bear in mind that Fender certainly gave him price guidelines so I am certain they are not as good as his own builds, but maybe still good