Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NAMM Oddities 2017 (The site was just updated)

Now that would be neat!

Any music gear show should have some oddities...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Any music gear show should have some oddities...
    True, although it is a matter of opinion what an oddity is.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    True, although it is a matter of opinion what an oddity is.
    Doesn't matter--there would be more than enough overlap...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Doesn't matter--there would be more than enough overlap...
    I'm sure there are always manufacturers floating trial balloons just to see what the public reaction will be, and there are bound to be some losers.

There seems to be a lot of people scratching their heads at Fender's latest offerings....I keep hearing things like "Parallel universe" and "Twilight Zone". I don't know if Fender's actually using one of those phrases to define a new series, or if that's just player's way of saying they're weird.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I'm sure there are always manufacturers floating trial balloons just to see what the public reaction will be, and there are bound to be some losers..
    It is probably relatively common for manufacturers to float weird prototypes simply for brand awareness and to create a buzz

It's interesting that over the years there have been items that generated a lot of buzz but seemed to disappear before things really started to happen. As an example, a few years back, there was a solid state device that was designed to work in tube applications. I thought the initial reception for it was fairly positive, but I can't remember seeing a manufacturer pursuing the technology since then. It's hard to understand that, given the fact that vacuum tubes seems to be a sunset industry, and yet no one's trying to bring something new to the table. This makes me think that, as dB said, a lot of the new ideas at NAMM are more about just getting people talking than a legitimate venue to introduce new products and ideas.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I'm sure I've seen solid state components that plug into a tube slot somewhere- It sounds like it would be especially useful for rectifiers and maybe even improve the amp. It could also be good for hard to replace power tubes. Unless pressed to do so however I think a lot of the tube guys would be very hard to convert over to a solid state replacement "tube".

About creating a buzz for a basically non-existent product, I guess you can't fault these guys too much. Trying to distinguish yourself in that marketplace is very difficult. Quite honestly most guitar players could find what they were looking for in an LP of Strat with a decent amp at a combined cost of less than a grand. The rest is personal style, snob appeal, cork sniffing, etc- something we're all guilty of to varying degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I'm sure there are always manufacturers floating trial balloons just to see what the public reaction will be, and there are bound to be some losers.

There seems to be a lot of people scratching their heads at Fender's latest offerings....I keep hearing things like "Parallel universe" and "Twilight Zone". I don't know if Fender's actually using one of those phrases to define a new series, or if that's just player's way of saying they're weird.
    That's why it's cool to keep going back to sites that feature NAMM stuff and see what made it, what didn't, what made it for a time & then disappeared--and what never got off the ground...

That's why it's cool to keep going back to sites that feature NAMM stuff and see what made it, what didn't, what made it for a time & then disappeared--and what never got off the ground...
    That would be neat but I don't think I'd have the patience to do that!