Thread: A Short Guide to the Lesser-Known Guitars of Jimi Hendrix

A Short Guide to the Lesser-Known Guitars of Jimi Hendrix

A while back I posted an article on the little know guitars of SSRV--now an article about the same for Jimi
    Most people think of the Strat first--and i is certainly what he was best known for--but both before & after he became known--and before & after (& concurrent with) the Strat were other guitars--includign some cool ones...

A Short Guide to the Lesser-Known Guitars of Jimi Hendrix
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'd guess you heard the story about the Purple Haze leads being done (overdubs) on a Telecaster? I did read a book about it, I thought the evidence was pretty convincing. I have heard this rumor a few different times, but don't know how many actual facts are out there about it.
    ****Please check out some of my music****
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=789610

Quote Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
    I'd guess you heard the story about the Purple Haze leads being done (overdubs) on a Telecaster? I did read a book about it, I thought the evidence was pretty convincing. I have heard this rumor a few different times, but don't know how many actual facts are out there about it.
    I think this is more than urban legends....Most of the reliable sources say that the guitar came into Jimi's hands for the recording of Purple Haze, through a friend of Neil Reddings. Redding ended up with the Tele when his Hendrix days were done, sold it to a Hendrix roadie, and it eventually was sold in a London music store in 1973.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

this is actually really cool. I always liked these kinds of articles. early artists and their guitars. I can only think of a few artists that still have their guitars when they were starting up to when they got famous.

There are other iconic solos played on aTele that people don't always realize we're
    Especially if they use a different guitar live
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

In some ways, I'm surprised that Hendrix didn't gravitate toward Telecasters rather than Strats. The Tele would have been an easier guitar to flip for a left-handed player because of the control layout and output jack location.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

But no whammy!