Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ten Common Guitar Myths?

Next-
    3. Playing an un-grounded guitar is extremely dangerous!
    this might be splitting hairs because it does also say:
    What you need to be wary of is your amplifier, and the source you are plugging it into.
    Well they do go together--but a good warning to listen to...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Getting back to this one--
    “Your tune-o-matic bridge is on backwards.”
    Good info here--I have seen tune-o-matics with he screws one way & with the others--it can affect ease of adjustment--But I got a screwdriver with a right angle in it so I can adjust these saddles whichever way they face...
    When you look at a tune-o-matic bridge, the intonation adjustment screws are on one side only. The argument is always over which side these should be facing for the bridge to be on “properly”. Quite frankly, it doesn’t matter. There is no universal right or wrong direction for the bridge to be on; it should be placed in the direction that makes the most sense for the particular guitar it is on.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've encountered people who will argue this as if their lives depended on it & if you disagree with them you must be mentally deficient or gullible or something like that.
    They hold this myth...
    5. A Nitro-finished electric guitar sounds better than a poly-finished one.
    It’s entirely subjective.
    True enough--so if they prefer the one over the other--cool.
    And there may be other advantages

If I play a guitar and like how it sounds, then it sounds good. That’s my criteria, anyway…
    Precisely

6. You need to have natural talent to become a “guitar god”.
    there is some truth to it--as I know people who did pick it up more easily or more quickly--but that also could have been environment
    Some of them certainly do work harder at it (or did when they started) than others--but not always.

When I taught I had some students who picked up stuff easily & others that struggled--but persevered & learned

7. You need to practise for several hours each day to become a good player.
    this one has some truth to it, but they do a good job explaining it...
    quality over quantity. You could practise for 8 hours a day and go nowhere if you aren’t being productive about it. Without proper instruction, research, and practise, you can easily end up developing bad habits that hinder your overall playing, or just spend too much time on something that isn’t helping you.
    I've also heard the law of diminishing returns comes into play here.
    After a certain point you may not be hurting yourself, but you may not be helping anything either--other than possibly having fun.

I am almost done reviewing these--#9 was handled earlier in the thread--leaving 8& 10

So #8
    8. You need a 100 watt stack amp if you want to play in a loud rock band.
    Well in some cases it helps--but I am glad I never went that big ampwise--wouldn't do me much good now
    And we tend to think a 100 watt amp is twice as loud as a 50 watt amp--and it isn't.
    I remember learning that a long time ago--as the article also indicates:
    It actually takes ten times the output power to effectively double the human ear’s perception of volume. In other words, if you were thinking of getting an amp that could be twice as loud as a 50 watt, you would need a 500 watt – not a 100.
    And with PA's availability & pricing--that helps as well
    My biggest wattage amp is 60--and I normally play guitar through a 15 or 20 watter, and my main bass amp is 40 watts.

Last one:
    10. If it’s not “brand name”, it’s crap.
    I've faced this--from buying into it myself a bit-but getting over it.
    I've faced it from others--first when I only had the LP copy & EB 3 copy--so they weren't a known brand.
    And even when I got my Iceman--well most people know respect Ibanez--at least in theory--as a "Brand Name"
    But for some--no it wasn't good enough--it wasn't Made in America.
    And when I got my Fender Mustang--well it is MIA & it is a Fender--but it wasn't a Strat or a Tele.
    I never let it bother me--I liked them--and I still do.

And as the article says:
    That’s not to say that these brands aren’t good – many of the guitars they make are! They’re the big guys who have stood the test of time, and they’ve done so for a reason. Partially because they started off with a great product, and partially because of advertising and word of mouth. What you need to remember though is that just because it has the name on the headstock, that doesn’t make it good. These brands make various quality levels of instruments, and while their higher-end stuff might be fantastic, their lower end guitars really aren’t any different from others at the same price-point. You could take two of the exact same model guitar priced at, say, $700 and one could be incredible, and the other a dud – especially when coming from such large, mass production facilities.