Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten Common Guitar Myths?

Ten Common Guitar Myths?

So what do you say?
    Are they myths? Are they true?
    Which ones?
    Anecdotes?

Ten Common Guitar Myths?

As I have done for these in the past I will add my own comments, but please feel free to add your own.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

There is some valid points in there. I do not agree with the one on strings. Heavy strings are powerful driving heavier resonance into the body. Using 8s your three plains will be totally anemic. Especially the 8 itself. If you were to change from even 9 to 42 to a set of 11 to 50s on a Strat or Les Paul it will blow away the weaker set. Sorry no comparison. Not just volume. Tone wise as well. Bending an 8 on a Strat sounds like a mosquito to me and if SRV was an 8 user we all would have never heard of him. More like Stevie Ray Yawn.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I think 8s are too small for me--I've tried them--but it wasn't the tone--it was that I felt they would break.
    Billy Gibbons uses 8s and people love his tone.
    Would he sound better with 10s or 11s?
    maybe.
    maybe not

I use different gages on different guitars--based on what suits that guitar.
    That includes 9-42
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I used to like 9's on guitars. very light, and really nice feel, but couldnt get that heavier tone I seem to be hearing. moved up to 10's when I got my first tele, had a difficult time at first, longer scale, heavier tension, but I loved the feel better than the 9's. 9's and 10's kept breaking on me, and I dont like it, tried 11's, and wow. my guitars came alive.

Hey use what you like
    I use 9s or 10s depending on the guitar
    & 11s on the one I use for slide

But use what you prefer

So how about:
    1. Itís bad for your guitar to remove all the strings at the same time when re-stringing your guitar.
    I normally do hat on my guitars/basses.

One exception is my archtop--with the floating bridge I change one string at a time so that there is less chance of having the bridge move and it is easier & quicker adjusting afterwards
    Although one time a ball end got stuck in the tailpiece & the only way to get it out was to remove all the strings--so I could flip it over & remove the ball end and put on a new string.
    (Trust me, I tried a lot of things--and then some--none of them worked.)

And it does make it easier to clean the fingerboard & the frets, etc...

The 9th item on that list, "The fatter the string, the better the tone", is part myth and part reality. When I listen to what Billy Gibbons gets out of 7's and 8's, I think light guage strings can sound pretty good. At the other end of the scale, the sound that Stevie Raye Vaughn pulls out of those humongous fatties is something special. The truth is that it really depends on the music and the playing style to achieve what you want.

I find there's more truth to the thick string=better tone myth when you're talking about bass strings. In my experience, fatter strings generally sound better. My Tele bass is radically better with .115's than .095's.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I tend to use 105s for my E on my basses...

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I tend to use 105s for my E on my basses...
    Yeah, I've actually got a set of Pi .105's on the Tele right now. I'm somewhat troubled by the problem of getting enough flexibility to make that tight turn onto the low E tuner, because it's so close to the nut. There didn't seem to be a way to make an effective witness point,. The .115 string requires a bend that still holds it away from the post. I just put the .105 back on and it's better.

[IMG][/IMG]
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

The thickness of bass strings can be an issue when doing string changes.

the next one on the list is:
    2. “My guitar has a bad hum, and when I touch the strings / bridge / metal knobs it goes away. It must not be grounded properly!”
    Good explanation on this one--I've been in places & with different things hooked up where it was real bad & other times you didn't notice.
    Well, as a wise man once said: