Thread: Affordable LP copy upgrades

Neophyte

Affordable LP copy upgrades

Hello! I'm new to this forum but I've been playing guitar for 38 years. I have a Les Paul style guitar, not an actual Gibson or Epiphone. It's a fairly nice axe. I'm curious if anyone has insight on where I can get some affordable and good quality upgrade products. Since it's not an actual Les Paul I don't want to throw a lot of money into it. If anyone has info please provide links and as much info as possible. Thank you in advance!

Here's what I'd like to change.

1. Current tuners are vintage style green keys but I would prefer more modern tuners in Chrome that hold tune very well.

2. Current pickups are the usual enclosed humbuckers with plastic trim around them. They are very muddy so it's hard to get much high tones out of them. I'd like some with a brighter sound but not too thin.

3. The nut is cheap plastic. I prefer something graphite or made of tusk.

Thank you again for any ideas you can offer!

Matt

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hi Dahmort, welcome to the forum. My suggestion on the pickups would be to consider changing them to humbucker-sized P90's. If you're looking for something brighter, a change to single coils is a good way to go. P90's tend to be a bit meatier than conventional Fender-style single coils. There's quite a range of them, price-wise, all the way from the low dollar Chinese models right up through the Gibson models. A look on eBay would probably yield something you'd like that'll fit your budget.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...+size&_sacat=0

As far as tuners, I prefer Sperzel lockers. Grovers also seem to be a popular choice with Gibson style instruments.

I've never used a graphite nut, so can't offer any suggestions. I've used Tusk nuts a couple of times and they seem to be fine, and not overly expensive.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Neophyte
    Thank you very much!

As someone who has modded a LP copy & tried to not spend too much I do have experience in that area.
    Spell has a lot of partscaster & mod experience--so he also has something to add as well as otehrs here may be able to help.

Here's a link to the thread I did about my LP mods

In my case I used either Dixons or Gotohs on my LP copy--it is a while ago.
    they are more Schaller style--which a lot of Gibsons have
    If you want locking tuners though--certainly consider the Sperzels, especially if you get a good price on them--but if that's not what you want (Or if the Sperzels are outside of affordable)-check out the various Dixon or Gotoh tuners--mine are sturdy & hold the tune well.

For pickups I have a couple of Seymour Duncans-(A JB & a P-Rail)-but I got a great deal on each one, especially the JB. (It was ordered with a customer colour and nobody wanted it--so it was priced lower than some lesser pickups.
    Before that I was going to get some Kent Armstrong ones.

But pickups can be tricky--because they can work differently in different guitars--But P-90s can be cool--but I also wanted a humbucker--so the P-Rail is cool because it has a P-90 combined with a Strat style rail pickup--they can be wired to work individually or as a humbucker.

For pickups you could also check with Mreilander-who is a member here.
    He has a range of options I believe, which at least used to include some more affordable options .

As for the nut I have a Tusq nut on my LP copy--and it works great.
    They have ones that are pre cut for different neck widths (Although you may need to adjust the slots a bit)--so check that out--they don't cost too much.

So welcome & enjoy the mods...
    I know I play my LP copy way more after the mods--so while I wouldn't recoup the cost fo the mods if I sold it--1-I am nto planning on selling it & 2-I play itnow & 3-It sounds & plays very well...

Whatever choices you make--
    Enjoy!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Neophyte
    Zontar, thank you very much for the helpful info! I will check out the mods you made to your guitar.

Hope that & Spell's post helps...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'd like to add something.....I just had a Zero Glide nut installed on one of my Duosonics. I haven't played it a lot yet, but long enough to know that I like it. There are models specifically made for Gibsons, and they look like they're probably simpler than a comparable Fender. If I have to do any more nut replacements, this is the way I'll go.

They're big money if you deal with StewMac or Goldtone (the manufacturer), but Arkansas Music's a good place to find them cheap. (That's were I got mine)

https://www.ebay.com/p/Zero-Glide-Zs...-Nr/1812405442

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/zeroglide/
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Neophyte
    Thank you very much!

Hopefully you get this done soon & can share the results...