Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Guitars: Economy Models to Avoid (Really?)

Worst Guitars: Economy Models to Avoid (Really?)

Worst Guitars: Economy Models to Avoid

I'd have to disagree with at least some of this list--but am offering it for discussion.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I don't often feel tempted to click on these links, but something about this grabbed my attention. I wondered if this could be an honest attempt to the real turds from the ones that make a credible first guitar. I was disappointed.....Anybody whose main criteria swings on whether a guitar has a bolt-on neck has some pretty obvious biases and limited savvy about guitars. I was amused that at the end of the article, there's a pitch for some guitar-lesson course they're selling. When somebody has an agenda, be very mistrustful.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Everybody has an agenda, just what kind of agenda--and how hard are they pitching it.

but in any case the inclusion of all Squires is overkill.

Maybe the Affinity ones or some others, maybe not.

but there are some nice guitars in the Vintage Modified & Classic Vibe series, and some I would not mind having at all.

As well even the lower end Yamaha Pacifica guitars are great bang for your buck guitars.

I don't own a Squire or a Pacifica, but have played several--no complaints on any of the Pacificas (Except for the asking price of a few of them--but not most)
    And none on the VM or CV Squires I've played either.

Are there better guitars than those?
    yes--but depending on what you want out of a guitar is the extra cost worth it?
    Maybe it is, maybe it isn't--but decide that yourself, not some random guy online.

Again--feel free to add your own comments.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Looking at the list I can see there aren't any I'd be interested in buying

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Looking at the list I can see there aren't any I'd be interested in buying
    maybe you ar not interested in them, but that's not the point--do you think they are ones for anybody to avoid?
    Especially beginner's?

I would have no issue recommending the VM or CV Squires or a Pacifica for a new guitarist to check out.
    It may not be for them, but I wouldn't put them on my avoid list in such a case

I'm not sure I would broad brush any specific model that everyone should avoid. One would have to play it to see if it meets his/ her needs

I'm not sure I would broad brush any specific model that everyone should avoid. One would have to play it to see if it meets his/ her needs
    Kind of my point--a guitar that may be perfect for you won't fit somebody else's needs (& maybe budget as well)

Heck a good professional setup can sometimes make a very inexpensive guitar play great- but sometimes not...

Heck a good professional setup can sometimes make a very inexpensive guitar play great- but sometimes not...
    I agree, but I think that's the crux of the problem. A cheap guitar plus setup and level & crown probably costs as much as a better grade instrument. By that time, you're buried in it, and stuck with something without much resale value.

I'm not sure who they're targeting with articles like this, but I think anybody starting out would do well to look for a used guitar, where the basic tweaking to make it a player has been done by a previous owner.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I was once in a store & someone brought in a First Act guitar--the type sold at Toys R Us or places like that.
    The tech refused to accept it--said it wouldn't be worth their money or his time.