Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NGD: AVRI 62 Custom Telecaster - Pawnshop Find!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Nice find IAITB! I love my AVRI- great guitars
    It was a very lucky find. We were just out on a grocery errand. The street was lined with pawnshops but the pawnshop I happen to pass by was the last pawnshop at the end of the street.

Its more specialized on high end watches and jewelries and then at the corner of my eye, I saw a double bound tele neglected at the corner.

It was priced too low for au market and pawnshop owners dont really know what exactly they have. Since MIJ/CIJ fenders are all over australia, must’ve been mistaken over it or they just dont know.

Axellent Member French Army Knife's Avatar
    Very cool!! Such a beauty AND the neck suits your hand - it can't get any better. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by French Army Knife View Post
    Very cool!! Such a beauty AND the neck suits your hand - it can't get any better. Congratulations!
    Thanks mate!

Actually, I like fat necks. My rosewood neck is a full 1inch, thick round C (like shape of a half circle).

But this one is just so comfortable i didnt even notice the thickness. 60’s were known to have slimmer necks, but this one is very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    Thanks Zontar!! This is the guitar that I’ve been dreaming for ages. Got broken hearted when it was discontinued and its rare (at least here in Oz). I didnt get it super cheap but its the price I can live with considering AmPros are hard to move for decent money around here
    I get the whole thing of getting your dream guitar--I've had two and I own both.
    One is the Ibanez Iceman-(More specifically the 70s ones-of which there are some variations)-I have wanted one from the first time I saw it, and also from when I first played one.
    When I was 18 I had a summer job and used money from that to buy one I found used (Hey it wasn't the 70s when I bought it-so it pretty much had to be used.)
    There's more of a story to that--but suffice to say I had seen others out of my price range--but with saving up more and finding one on sale--it was cool--one of my dream guitars.

The other was a black Les Paul Custom--which seemed out of reach at one point with the soaring prices of Gibsons over the years.
    But again I found a used on--early Norlin period-pancake body, lure, etc--so in many circles it was looked down on.
    Being used & also modded & at a Dutch Auction I got a great price.
    (& again more of a tale there too)
    I changed some things on it--but it was already modded--so once again a dream guitar I wound up with.
    I am very unlikely to get an unmoved one-way too much for my budget.

So it's cool when you find that guitar.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Axellent Member French Army Knife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    Thanks mate!

Actually, I like fat necks. My rosewood neck is a full 1inch, thick round C (like shape of a half circle).

But this one is just so comfortable i didnt even notice the thickness. 60’s were known to have slimmer necks, but this one is very comfortable.
    There is a formular for fat necks that feel slim: asymmetrical necks. Down the neck (at the nut) these have a profound shoulder on the low e side and NO shoulder on the high e side. Up the neck (at the neck pocket) it is just the other way round. Maybe someone did this to the neck of your new guitar (like I did to many). The transition along the neck is gradually so as you move up and down your hand you can feel it - fingers just 'fall into position' - but you have to look close to see it. Another advantage is that asymmetrical necks provide more stability to the side with the fat strings and the dreaded neck warp is more unlikely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by French Army Knife View Post
    There is a formular for fat necks that feel slim: asymmetrical necks. Down the neck (at the nut) these have a profound shoulder on the low e side and NO shoulder on the high e side. Up the neck (at the neck pocket) it is just the other way round. Maybe someone did this to the neck of your new guitar (like I did to many). The transition along the neck is gradually so as you move up and down your hand you can feel it - fingers just 'fall into position' - but you have to look close to see it. Another advantage is that asymmetrical necks provide more stability to the side with the fat strings and the dreaded neck warp is more unlikely to happen.
    It seems that the neck profile hasnt been tampered yet. The nitro is intact and in fact in a very mint condition for something that has been made in 2004.

My guess is that it sat in its case for a long time, only taken out when the original owner has time to play. All the marks have come from the pawnshop. When they handed it to me, they werent careful in handling or when returning back to it’s display rack.

The neck seem to be half of what my rosewood neck thickness is. But a very comfortable profile. I know by experience that when properly set up (action, truss rod, etc etc) it will feel even more comfortable. My point is, i thought i was done with slim necks when I got my rosewood neck. But i was wrong.

IAITB, a question: What's the neck profile on that guitar? My MIJ 62RI had a soft V, which I assume could have been authentic for the year, or possibly, because mine was a 1986, it mimicked the fashion of the 80's. I think that's when I started seeing Fenders with the V neck. I don't remember the neck feeling incredibly slim - nothing like my Esquire with the '59 felt like, but maybe the V made the center of the profile less obvious.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    IAITB, a question: What's the neck profile on that guitar? My MIJ 62RI had a soft V, which I assume could have been authentic for the year, or possibly, because mine was a 1986, it mimicked the fashion of the 80's. I think that's when I started seeing Fenders with the V neck. I don't remember the neck feeling incredibly slim - nothing like my Esquire with the '59 felt like, but maybe the V made the center of the profile less obvious.
    The profile is very much like modern “C” on Fenders now. I know for a fact that my 62ri is thicker by a hair than Squier CVC.

I’ve played tons of newer MIJ/CIJ TL62’s 2005 and up and its the same profile. But ive never played a TL62 with a soft V. Its always been C or full C

And the plot thickens: I sent an email to Fender about the serial number and the authenticity of my guitar. I’m glad to report that it is in fact a real AVRI 62 and not just a partscaster!

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us! I was able to locate serial number V****** in our system and found the following:

*V******/ 0106200800/ 62 TELE CUSTOM 3TS/ 01-11-2005.

Model Name American Vintage 62 Custom Telecaster®, Rosewood Fingerboard, 3-Color Sunburst
    Model #0106200800
    Series American Vintage
    Country Of Origin US
    Color 3-Color Sunburst
    Body Alder
    Body Finish Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Body Shape Telecaster®
    Neck Material Maple
    Neck Finish Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Neck Shape"C" Shape
    Scale Length 25.5" (648 mm)
    Fingerboard Rosewood
    Fingerboard Radius 7.25" (184.1 mm)
    Number of Frets 21
    Frets Size Vintage Style
    String Nut Synthetic Bone
    Nut Width 1.650" (42 mm)
    Position Inlays Pearl Dot
    Bridge Pickup American Vintage '62 Custom Single-Coil Tele®
    Neck Pickup American Vintage '62 Custom Single-Coil Tele®
    Controls Master Volume, Master Tone
    Pickup Switching 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Neck Pickup with Tone Control (Bright Vintage Circuit), Position 3. Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)
    Pickup Configuration SS
    Bridge 3-Saddle American Vintage Strings-Through-Body Tele® with Threaded Steel Barrel Saddles
    Hardware Finish Chrome
    Tuning Machines 6-in-Line American Vintage
    Pickguard 3-Ply Mint Green
    Strings Fender® USA 250R, NPS, (.010-.046 Gauges)
    Unique Features Bound Top and Back, "Top Hat" Switch Tip, "C" Shape Maple Neck, Synthetic Bone Nut
    Included Accessories Deluxe Brown Hardshell Case, Strap, Cable, "Ash Tray" Bridge Cover
    Everything is in order, except the strap and cable. Its not important, but I wouldve been more convinced that it’s real if it has all those.