Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD: AVRI 62 Custom Telecaster - Pawnshop Find!

NGD: AVRI 62 Custom Telecaster - Pawnshop Find!

This came as a surprise in the form of a “pawnshop rescue”. It was listed for 1350AuD (950usd). I know that is dirt cheap for a rare, sought after and discontinued model. Even in australian market, it is easily 2500aud (1700usd) used.

I can buy the list price with cash but I have an american pro maple neck that Im not bonding with. So I Had to act quickly, and I went back after a few hours to trade my American Pro tele for it, because this is my ultimate dream of a Telecaster. I dont even care if its not mint. This is it for me. No custom shop, no suhr, nothing else will do it for me. I want this guitar.

I brought my Minty american pro tele. They did a bit of checking the internet for authenticity, but I have my receipt with me and all the case candies, Then they said, They cannot let it go without cash, of course, pawnshops, so I need to add 350usd for it. I can still afford it. Considering if I sell the AmPro, i wont be able to get that deal from someone who knows what it is. My wife did what she does best. Her charms are absolutely wonderful and tried to work it down. In the end, they got my ampro, case, with all case candies plus 280usd for this.

Finally, an American Vintage 62 Custom Telecaster in Tri-Sunburst Double-Bound Body in my hands. That neck is to die for. Years of neglect and gunk did its thing, still even had the plastic on the pickguard that left a gooey sticky substance.

Theres lots of hairline scratches and some cleaning scratches that left deep lines on the finish. I dont really mind. I can finally play it without babying it and the way it meant to be played.

Ive gone from Squier to MIM, to MIA to partscaster, always the 62 as the inspiration. And now I have it. Cant be any happier to end my year. Dreams do come true. After 8 years to be exact.

More photos;

Didnt notice that the case latches still have plastic on them. For a guitar that has 2004 dates on the neck, I’m not sure if this has been out of the house or played even.

Neck has a super nice amber tint. The neck tint on the Squier CV60 is my favorite tint, but this one has the best I’ve ever seen.

An the unused bridge plate cover. Looks really delicious with it on, but who leaves them on while playing??

After some cleaning, took off the strings and put 11’s, did my initial set up (final tweaks will be done by my luthier), adjusted the truss rod to accommodate 11’s, and viola. The guitar I will take to my grave if my son doesnt take up guitar.

PS its the most beautiful tricolor sunburst I’ve seen so far.

HFGD! (Happy forever guitar day) I'm really happy for your good fortune, IAITB. I have had a 62 RI, a Japanese one, and I agree - they're lovely looking guitars. I'm sure if you traded away a guitar you'd bonded with to get this, it's obviously meant for you. Hope it's the beginning of a long, happy relationship.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I did trade my first mia tele. But ive replaced the maple neck with an all rosewood one. I think i made a thread here on that.

I quickly changed the neck, strung it up using the old strings and went back to the pawnshop right away. Didnt even tune it. Lol

So, does that mean you've still got a rosewood neck just waiting for a guitar to happen?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Axe-honerated
    Very cool. Love the double bound with the sunburst. That is definitely one of my favorite teles. Super happy for you. Now that's the one you hang on to. Congratulations.
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    So, does that mean you've still got a rosewood neck just waiting for a guitar to happen?
    Yes. Exactly right. My initial plan was to get another neck, a solid Pau Ferro from the same maker sold by Stratosphere from Ebay.

Then this happened. Lol. I’m just trying to chose what color, and if I want to build a solid/thinline/full hollow tele, and what pickups. Lol

I never find stuff like that--cool

Enjoy!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I never find stuff like that--cool

Enjoy!
    Thanks Zontar!! This is the guitar that I’ve been dreaming for ages. Got broken hearted when it was discontinued and its rare (at least here in Oz). I didnt get it super cheap but its the price I can live with considering AmPros are hard to move for decent money around here

Nice find IAITB! I love my AVRI- great guitars